Sprint power

2»

Comments

• Lion-O
    Lion-O Posts: 48
    look just sprint faster than the next guy! you win if its 15mph or 50 mph first past the post wins!
  • P_Tucker wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Chiggy wrote:
    what power software are you using? Could you send me a file from a a race or two for me to look at the finish? What is required in the last 5 minutes-10seconds of a race to finish in the top 3?

You can calculate it from their Terminal Speed ( V max ) using 0.85 as the Cd.

Assuming that the finish was pan flat, no wind, no drafting etc?

which is a logical basis for such a benchmark

Except that bunch sprints don't take place in a laboratory, so trying to calculate power from terminal speed is utterly pointless.

True, but at least its a theoretical benchmark.

So, you calculate a figure with a margin of error of at best 25%. How does that help, exactly?

Not much, but then why get so concerned about something that isn't even that relevant anyway. Either yo will become a powerful sprinter by training for it, or you won't and frankly you don't need to know how many watts your legs are producing in order to win a race. Use it as a training tool yes, but even then its not like steady state riding where your effort level has different physiological changes. I would have thought that going as hard as you can in structured sprint sessions will either make you good or merely average, and no amount of power calculation will change that.

I think this is turning into another "I know more than you debate" and I've lost (any other) the point you are trying to make.
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    P_Tucker wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:
    P_Tucker wrote:
    Chiggy wrote:
    what power software are you using? Could you send me a file from a a race or two for me to look at the finish? What is required in the last 5 minutes-10seconds of a race to finish in the top 3?

You can calculate it from their Terminal Speed ( V max ) using 0.85 as the Cd.

Assuming that the finish was pan flat, no wind, no drafting etc?

which is a logical basis for such a benchmark

Except that bunch sprints don't take place in a laboratory, so trying to calculate power from terminal speed is utterly pointless.

True, but at least its a theoretical benchmark.

So, you calculate a figure with a margin of error of at best 25%. How does that help, exactly?

Not much, but then why get so concerned about something that isn't even that relevant anyway. Either yo will become a powerful sprinter by training for it, or you won't and frankly you don't need to know how many watts your legs are producing in order to win a race. Use it as a training tool yes, but even then its not like steady state riding where your effort level has different physiological changes. I would have thought that going as hard as you can in structured sprint sessions will either make you good or merely average, and no amount of power calculation will change that.

I think this is turning into another "I know more than you debate" and I've lost (any other) the point you are trying to make.

Not really - Chiggy said something that was nonsense, I called him on it. As to whether knowing what power you may or may not need to sprint at to get a result in a chipper race is useful, I make no judgement really - I was just trying to answer the question posed.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I reckon the OP just wanted to know where they stood in terms of their own power and where it needed to be. I don't think he wanted anyone to go out and book laboratories to answer the question.

His original post stated that he knew it depended on a variety of factors. My guess he was trying to avoid the conversation that ended up taking place.

He just wants to to know the kind of power that's being put out.

Does anyone have the answer for him?
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    dulldave wrote:

Somewhere between 500 and 2000
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • I have seen the odd flash over a 1000 when messing about on an ergo in the gymn, does that help? And I havent come close to winning any races because I got dropped in the 3rd lap.....(I'd hazard a guess at somewhere around 300w)
  • dulldave wrote:
    I reckon the OP just wanted to know where they stood in terms of their own power and where it needed to be. I don't think he wanted anyone to go out and book laboratories to answer the question.

His original post stated that he knew it depended on a variety of factors. My guess he was trying to avoid the conversation that ended up taking place.

He just wants to to know the kind of power that's being put out.

Thank you and you are spot on, I just wanted a range from peoples experiences. I have a good estimate from this thread and others to conclude roughly where I stand on the sprinting scale.