the iphone & its battery

get on your bike
get on your bike Posts: 53
edited November 2010 in The bottom bracket
good morning

im sure there has been threads on this before but am wondering what the story is the the battery on the iphone. Got one the other day as an upgrade so free so i said sure why not. Three days on & I have various apps on it, mainly music & radio ones but when fully charged the battery just vanishes. So im thinking that in theory it is brilliant but in reality, when your restricted to its use as the battery just dies & cant see it lasting a half day, what is the point in it.

Are you meant to bring the charger everywhere you go or what? Any tips from fellow iphonites on battery saving tips

cheers & happy sunday

Comments

• dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Which iphone? I get almost 2 days out of mine (4) and I'm a heavy user. There are sensible things you can do like turn off 3g and gsm data when at home/office/wherever with a wifi connection nearby, likewise, turn off wifi when you're out and about with only a gsm data feed available. In other words, why have them both on? Same goes for bluetooth.

Mine is jailbroken and I have SBSeettings installed, it allows me very quick access to the settings to turn off various data elements - you can do it without even entering your PIN for instance.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    battery lasts all day, recharge over night,
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • its the one before the 4 although i dont think its called the three
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    3GS
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dodgy
    You don't know what phone you have?

Anyway, batteries are not at their optimum when new, you'll find performance might increase after a few recharge cycles.
  • the word is luddite
  • I had a 3G and saw no problem with the battery normally alasts most the day and charge at night
  • I had a 3G and saw no problem with the battery normally alasts most the day and charge at night

but were you using apps such as playing radio all day or just as a phone for incoming/ outgoing calls
  • dodgy
    If you have a radio app running, then it's running over a data connection. That's very demanding on a battery. If you tried that on any phone, Android, Noka or whatever, you wouldn't last the day.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    You could just buy a spare battery. Oh, hang on... :twisted:
  • bompington wrote:

was thinking that .....can you not do that, maybe you can get incar chargers...can you get them
  • bompington wrote:

was thinking that .....can you not do that, maybe you can get incar chargers...can you get them

No you can't change the battery, yes you can get car chargers also usb leads that will attach and charge it via your computer, home or work and you can get spare mains chargers so you could have a home and office one (assuming you work with 3pin socket access) no smartphone has long term battery life, they're basically mini laptops and battery life should be considered in those terms not against conventional mobile phones. You can get any number of battery monitor apps and startup managers to limit what fires up without you realising. Tho, TBH from the level of knowledge you've shown here you might like to ask the local geek for a bit of a hand, if you're not sure what you're doing you can make a mess of it quite easily