the iphone & its battery

get on your bike
get on your bike Posts: 53
edited November 2010 in The bottom bracket
good morning

im sure there has been threads on this before but am wondering what the story is the the battery on the iphone. Got one the other day as an upgrade so free so i said sure why not. Three days on & I have various apps on it, mainly music & radio ones but when fully charged the battery just vanishes. So im thinking that in theory it is brilliant but in reality, when your restricted to its use as the battery just dies & cant see it lasting a half day, what is the point in it.

Are you meant to bring the charger everywhere you go or what? Any tips from fellow iphonites on battery saving tips

cheers & happy sunday

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Are you talking 1/2 day of continuous use for music/radio or just on standby?

On standby would indicate a fault. Basically the more you have on, the more the battery is used. Switch off everything you don't need. Switch everything off and use it purely as a phone and the battery should last 3 days in my experience.The latest OS version seems to use up battery much faster than previous versions though.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    The screen uses the battery big time. So the more it's on, the faster it drains the battery. Music doesnt drain it much.

Turn off location services if you don't need it - it drains the battery also.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    I use my (year old) iPhone quite heavily for phone and data, and it easily lasts the day. I charge it nightly out of habit, but sometimes go 2 or 3 days and I haven't had a "low battery" panic in recent memory.

Streaming radio over 3G is one of the highest battery draws, though – I wouldn't be surprised if it drained the battery in a day. You can get extra battery things that plug in, if you don't have access to a mains socket.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    Install 'Battery Doctor' app (it's free)

T'other half uses this to charge my old 3gs iPhone and it actually extended the battery runrime over when I had it.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    You could just buy a spare battery. Oh, hang on...
  • daviesee
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

Copying someone else's jokes? Sad.

From earlier today at 14:08
    bompington wrote:
    You could just buy a spare battery. Oh, hang on... :twisted:
  • ShutUpLegs
    daviesee wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

wrong.jpg
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    daviesee wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

bompington wrote:

Stalking on the internet? Sad.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I have put my screen brightness to around 40%.

Also use griffin car charger with additional battery pack.
  • daviesee
    Ben6899 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

bompington wrote:

Nah. Just bored reading the same joke in 2 minutes. One of them obviously copied.

Justifying myself - that is sad :wink:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    daviesee wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:

bompington wrote:

Nah. Just bored reading the same joke in 2 minutes. One of them obviously copied.

Justifying myself - that is sad :wink:

Shoulda just left it, mate! :wink:
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Never mind that, I'm sitting here pondering how sad it would be to post just to assert my copyright.
    Very, I think.
  • Can you switch the iPhone to 2G only?

I got a Galaxy S, which needed charging every night, until I started turning it to GSM only. now I just switch it to 3G when I need it. Lasts around 4 to 5 days now.
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    You can turn 3G off yep, it gets turned off automatically when you connect to a wireless network too. Hence I charge my phone every day during the working week, and then probably not again till late Sunday.
  • ShutUpLegs
    bompington wrote:
    Never mind that, I'm sitting here pondering how sad it would be to post just to assert my copyright.
    Very, I think.

• Some iphones seems to have had problems since the version 4 software update.

It appears that the iphone continues to connect to the internet when turned off.

You may get better battery life if you turn off notifications in settings and remove account details in Game Center.
  • Hrun
    Hrun Posts: 116
    Or go for the iPhone 4. Battery life is 3-4 times better than the old 3G I had.
    A biking runner :)
  • I've got (temporarily) both an iPhone 3GS and an iPhone 4.

Battery life on the '4 is significantly better than the older 3GS.

Some tips - turn off Bluetooth, Wireless and Location services when you are not using them. Also, reduce the screen brightness (the darker it is, the less battery it uses as it is the backlight that drinks the power!)

Also check with the apps you have installed to see which are automatically connecting to the internet (under "Settings") as many do by default.

If you drive, get a car charger (you don't need an expensive one, there are many available for a few quid from eBay).

You can also disable 3G completely if you want and only use 2G services (which are often enough for small amounts of data) 3G uses a much more powerful radio, which of course uses more battery!
    --
    Chris

Road ride: Univega Via Laser
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I have an iphone 4.

I get about 2 days battery from a charge.

my usage pattern is...

push email always on.
    wifi always on
    ipod on most of the day

now if i run endomondo...i get about 6 hours gps tracking before the battery packs goes.

to be honest...its better than i was expecting and better than i experienced with my previous winmo device.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.