MacbookPro:"Error 105"...

mercsport
mercsport Posts: 664
edited November 2010 in The bottom bracket
...."(net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): The server could not be found."

Excuse me for bringing up a computer topic on here, as I suppose I should join a Mac forum to find out what's what, but I dread computer jargon and am aware that quite a few of you on here are savvy with Macs.

I bought a Macbook in the early spring of this year and it's been razor sharp until the latter part of this week. For now it's suddenly developed the bad habit of not connecting to the 'net, or when it does it is so pedestrian I can brew up in the time it takes to bring up a new page. When, after an achingly long time it decides to jack-in altogether it leaves the message "This webpage is not available." and -ultimately- the guff in the header to this enquiry. Or am I victim to an old fashioned 'spanner in the works' common to all OS's and, hence, get some security? :?

Am writing this on the old laptop, should you wonder.
"Lick My Decals Off, Baby"

Comments

• nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    It's because you haven't spent enough time connecting to the internet in Starbucks, or other generic coffee bars.

Macbook Pro's need at least 2 hours exposure every week to maintain proper functionality.

Now get down to that coffee shop and start working on that novel!
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • check your router
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • you have computer aids
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    I am NOT a Mac expert - but I read that restoring any firewall to the default settings and turning ON the user control feature sometimes works.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Everyone knows that Macs are perfect and don't have errors, and they can't get viruses, so the only conclusion is that you must be lying.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I would suspect it's your internet connection over the computer itself. How to fix? No idea.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Are you using Google Chrome?

Could be the root cause.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Ok i lied its not aids. But you could you worse than pop down to the shops and have a look in this months Mac Format, it has all about failing wifi connetions etc.

For the record las monday I had a 105 error and it was due to a loose cable.

Or its aids
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Thanks for the replies all. :D

For what it's worth, I've never had a good cup o'coffee in Starbucks so never inhabit the place. Also I'm pretty sure I'm not possessed of the magic to write a novel (is the Starbucks connection necessary I wonder, and that's why?).

As for the router/ loose cable, or whatnot, I can but declare that I'm tapping this out on the old laptop and also my 'phone picks up the 'net pronto'ish. Same router.

Interested to have Chrome quoted as a possible source of victimisation. Hmmm. I use Chrome and Safari. Safari's my default and it tells me I'm crawling to nowhere when I ignite the machine.

As for NervexProf's suggestion, thanks, I'll have a bash at that tomorrow - have just come in from a cold and dank bike ride, and have to reverse out again for another destination for the rest of the day - should I be able to discover where the firewall hides itself.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I suggest you Google Error 105 and you'll see hundreds of pages on the problem!

Seems to be related to Chrome and not to the computer. Again - not sure how to fix the problem, but a little digging should give you the answer.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Have you tried switching it off and on again?
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Sell it and buy a PC, then all errors get fixed by turning it on and off :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • you're likely to get better help on another forum but imno - its very unlikely to be the mac or a security issue - run diagnostics from utilities.

Suggest you look at your router setup first
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    What does it say under "Network" in "System Preferences"? Are you connecting wireless?
    If the Network info says you are disconnected from the network, then it may be the network interface.It may be worth manually setting the IP address and subnet mask etc. Could be a DHCP (or even DNS) problem. You could try it at someone else's house. If it is still problematic, you can probably discount your router/modem.
  • You've already hinted it's probably an issue with Opera so hopefully this is resolved but here's some hints for general use.

Diagnosing these things is as much about eliminating what it's not than getting directly to the fault.

First thing is Google it. Aint nothing unique anymore. Someone somewhere will have had the same thing. Less genteel sites than this may even flame you with UTFS. (Google it)

The error mentioned *server* so check if it's just that site that's slow or all sites that you try to connect to.

Try a different browser with one of the problem sites (you might even have to try several browsers)

Try a different computer / device.

Is your email slow?

If it all points to the one computer, your MacBook, that is all sites, all browsers and your email is slow on your Mac but other devices are fine, then you can assume that it's unlikely to be your router.

So next you need to see how well your Mac is *talking* to the router.

Is it wired to the router or wireless?

If wireless go wired. (Actually if you don't mind wired, default to it. WiFi can be a PITA. Sure it has it's up side but it's always my second choice).

Next, your Mac needs a unique address. A wee bit techie this bit but not too much.

Apple menu > Location > Network Preferences

Select which connection: Wireless or Built-in Ethernet

Configure: Likely to be "Using DHCP" (Means your Mac will get everything it needs from your router. Good if it is talking to your router, useless if not)

IP Address: This is the real indicator. Will probably be something like 192.168.1.2, if it starts with 196 your Mac is not picking up a proper IP address so it aint talking to the router propah.

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Router: Probably 192.168.1.1 (maybe 254 at the end)

These funny numbers are IP addresses and you'll need two more for the "DNS Servers" Don't know what yours will be but you should be able to find them in one of your other working devices.

However, these things don't just up sticks and change themselves, you can only cause them to change. A faulty connection between Mac and router means the Mac can't pick up a proper IP address so you'll probably end up with a "self-assigend" 196 address.

A big slow down though is unlikely to be any of the above (a faulty but not obviously disconnected / broken ethernet cable might do this but it's rare ).

If that all looks OK for the Built-in Ethernet connection, go through the same thing for the WiFi connection. If the WiFi settings look ok but it's just slow, it can be quite tricky diagnosing the problem (Google "slow wifi", too much to include here). So don't use it if you don't have to and don't have it enabled at all if you use Built-in Ethernet.(Turn Airport off in the top right of your menu bar).

There's always a reason!
    I may be a minority of one but that doesn't prevent me from being right.
    http://www.dalynchi.com
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    Now that you have had some sensible answers.... Consider yourself lucky, it could have been an "Error Sora". That is really serious. :lol:
  • Beat me to it, Was just going to suggest Campag
  • I have the feeling the problem I had the other day with my laptop (not Apple though) was caused by the Anit-Virus/Firewall. Although I'd disabled McAfee, it's free trial period was coming to an end and, consequesntly, caused problems with accessing the t'internet.
    I googled the problem, and it advised me as such so just deleted the whole programme from the computer and, hey presto, problem solved. (I used phone to google problem, so see what google says - probably the best source of fixes)
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • Just found this on the PC Advisor site after doing a google search, may be of assistance to you,.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/index.cfm?action=showthread&threadid=383849&forumid=1
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • Well, the Mac's suddenly decided to return to life. Just now. Everything appears to be normal again.

No, I cannot figure it out. The only thing I did today was to have a look at where the firewall business hides and determined that it was in the 'off' condition, so I switched it on and went back to see if anything had happened. It hadn't, and the 'net was still unobtainable. Closed the lid (standby) -had lunch- came back and opened a programme to fill in the afternoon with, then I heard the 'ker-lop' of an email being delivered - and 'lo - it was a forum notification from one of you lads!

Many thanks for everyone's attention, and '2Phat4Rapha' (me too!) thanks for your lexicon of faults,I'm grateful. And 'NervexProf', you were right to advise me to have a look at the firewall, which I did :). Seemingly the default condition is 'off' -which I didn't know - but am now wondering why did it work so well -'off' (presumably) - until last week? :?

Cheers all :D

PS : Thanks 'Gregster'. Yup, in this case it seems to be all about the firewall and whether it's on or off. I think, though am still not sure :roll: