CYCLECRAFT: where on this road do you ride??

Comments

• hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    Best to partially block the lane and force them to think rather then make it easy for them to push past and knock you off by mistake.

You might get a beep from some but most drivers will recognise your problem and just wait.

Better be going quick up this hill :twisted:
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    hfidgen wrote:
    Best to partially block the lane and force them to think rather then make it easy for them to push past and knock you off by mistake.

You might get a beep from some but most drivers will recognise your problem and just wait.

Better be going quick up this hill :twisted:

oh yeahhh

constant 19mph up this hill no sweat!

yes I was to the right of the left tyre mark to deter overtaking (blind crest at the top, and one blind corner half way up)

as I pulled back to the secondary as the double lines dissappeared, the monster 4x4 who was hooting me all the way up the hill slowed down and shouted "you're mad mate" as he overtook me. reply from me not quoteable.
  • left track there isn\t much reason to stay further over, to get past the cars must cross into the other lane.
  • wyadvd
    but he seriously was ready to overtake me on the first blind corner..........he didnt though!
  • wyadvd
    how many of you guys have read "effective cycling" by John Forester?

theres a cool rule in there which isnt in cyclecraft.. If the lane is wide enough for a bike plus car overtaking then gutter riding is almost acceptable (he suggests 12ft+ wide lane so quite wide)......if narrower than that and middle line needs to be crossed by cars to safely overtake, then well into the left hand tyre mark territory to force a positive overtaking manouvre. i find it works.
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    No overtking should be made on that road if you are over 10mph double white line
  • Going uphill: the normal place.

I'd ride any other road. Generally speaking, I would push myself going up the hill though; IME, drivers who feel that they are being held up by someone who is going as fast as they can are quite sympathetic. If they feel that you're dragging your heels, or sitting out to make their lives difficult, they get pissy.

rhann is correct to say that cars can cross double whites if overtaking a cyclist who is travelling at < 10mph.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • I'd be as close to the middle of the lane as was viable, and if people beeped I'd just ignore them.

I would wave thanks as they went past, though, as long as they did it sympathetically.
  • I nearly voted to find another route but I would guess you have already investigated this option.

So if I had to ride that road, I would be in the middle/right hand side of the left hand tyre track. Forcing a car onto the other side of the road to overtake you makes drivers think as they feel a bit of vulnerability.

And if a driver was trying to be aggressive(hooting, etc) I would just move further out by 6-12 inches to let him know that his aggression is not going to make any difference...
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    ...if a driver was trying to be aggressive(hooting, etc) I would just move further out by 6-12 inches to let him know that his aggression is not going to make any difference...

I like your style.
    ...if people beeped I'd just ignore them.
    I like your style too, but I'd do what Coopster suggested. Lets just hope idiot drivers don't try to undertake!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • wyadvd
    thanks guys...

So:.......lets assume mr monster 4x4 overtook me with me in the primary and on the blind crest.....he kills himself in a head on collision , i survive because i gave myself some space.....in view of daniel cadden, what will a judge say to me?
  • wyadvd
    he won on appeal btw
  • wyadvd wrote:
    thanks guys...

So:.......lets assume mr monster 4x4 overtook me with me in the primary and on the blind crest.....he kills himself in a head on collision , i survive because i gave myself some space.....in view of daniel cadden, what will a judge say to me?

the onus is on the overtaker to make sure they can make a safe manoeuvre.

overtaking on a blind crest is some way off from a safe manoeuvre!
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    and he crossed a double white line when you were going over 10mph
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Right hand side of the LH tyre lane - pretty much where I normally ride - essential that you force drivers to make a positive overtaking move in this situation - riding in the gutter only tempts drivers to risk the overtake
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    As Jay dubbleU says..

Riding in the gutter here is simply a way of ' inviting' drivers to squeeze past rather than actually overtake. Riding in at least a strong secondary position (right side of left tyre track) is probably the safest way to travel this section of road. I would even take the primary position if I was able to hold a reasonable speed here (approx 15-20mph).

• Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    Get off and push the bike up the opposite side so I'm facing the oncoming traffic.

I become a pedestrian who must be given right of way. :lol:
  • Chiggy
    Chiggy Posts: 261
    edited November 2010
    Hey, come on?

The A257 west of Bramling. Its only a 3.5% hillock.

Whizz up that at 15 mph. :roll:

PS. Secondary.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    All of the above.

Wherever is safest or if it is quiet, more comfortable really.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Very similar to the hill on my commute, I ride right on the white line (left edge of left tyre track) when it's safe to make passing easier, I pull out by about 2' where passing isn't safe to keep them behind me, my hill is steeper, probably doing about 6-8mph.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.