What If...?

yourpaceormine
yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
edited November 2010 in Pro race
What if Lance was stripped of his 7 yellows (a scenario that potentially could happen given current investigation)? How far down the final results standing would ASO have to go to find an eligible 'winner'?

How many runners up would excluded for infringements? Zulle, Ullrich, Basso?

Ruminate fiercely

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Evans for the last one

Strava is not Zen.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Wouldn't happen would it. Riis, Ulrich, Pantani all remain in the record books as winners.

Landis is the obvious exception but he was actually 'done' during the race. Much like Contador may well be 'done'.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Landis is the obvious exception but he was actually 'done' during the race.
    Not quite - it was the Thursday after the race finished IIRC, but I get your point.

Re-writing the record books is a pointless exercise based on pure speculation in most cases. What can it achieve?
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 214
    Bronzie wrote:
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Not quite - it was the Thursday after the race finished IIRC, but I get your point.

Re-writing the record books is a pointless exercise based on pure speculation in most cases. What can it achieve?

All it would achieve would be to render cycling, in the eyes of the general public, a total and utter farce. That’s what I don’t understand with the whole lance lynch mob mentality…move on ffs
    What next? Go after indurain??
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    EPC06 wrote:
    All it would achieve would be to render cycling, in the eyes of the general public, a total and utter farce.

In the eyes of the general public, cycling is a total and utter drug riddled farce already.
  • Roscobob
    Roscobob Posts: 344
    Bronzie wrote:
    EKIMIKE wrote:

I think what he means is that the failed tests come from during the Tour.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    the statute of limitations doesn't go back long enough to cover 99, IIRC it is 7 years. At best I think they will do what they did with Riis and just bury the story and a asterisk next to his name.

ASO don't want any bad publicity and they can't say Zulle is suspect, so is Ullrich and keep going back. None of them failed a drug test at the time so I can't see the result changing
  • The 1996 Tour is my favourite example of this. A revised podium would be:
    1. Peter Luttenberger
    2. Miguel Indurain
    3. Patrick Jonker
    Or taken to the extreme:
    1. Erik Breukink
    2. Chris Boardman
    3. Graham Obree
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Any particular reason you think breukink might be clean?
  • Any particular reason you think breukink might be clean?
    OK, Boardman won. I'm not aware of anything that could stick against Breukink though but I could be wrong.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Breukink rode for PDM and ONCE. If you think he remained clean then I've a lovely bridge you might be interested in.