Did a cyclocross race today...

ddraver
ddraver Posts: 26,388
edited November 2010 in The bottom bracket
My housemate is doing a cyclocross race tomorrow (ironically enough for this forum, in Rhyl) and has invited me along. I can rock up with my MTB and just race...

Should I?

(is it bad form to put mud tyres on the MTB too?)
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver

Comments

• BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    ddraver wrote:
    My housemate is doing a cyclocross race tomorrow (ironically enough for this forum, in Rhyl) and has invited me along. I can rock up with my MTB and just race...

Should I?
    Of course you should! What could be more fun than sliding around on muddy fields on a Sunday in late November. Get out there and treat it as a bit of fun!
    (is it bad form to put mud tyres on the MTB too?)
    Whyever should it be bad form to choose sensible tyres for the terrain? - that's half the secret of being a successful 'cross rider.

Go on, DO IT - and report back here when you've done it to let us know how much you enjoyed it.

Ruth

ps. expect to get very muddy indeed....................
  • If you're going to get dirty what better place than rhyl. Don't forget to pop into morrisons.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    Silly question. You'll obviously have a rhylly good time
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • Is Rhyll rhylly hylly?
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    Yes, yes, no. Enjoy! 8)
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • Get stuck in, bloody tough dicipline is cross and it's great driving home covered in caked on dried mud so, don't forget the seat covers. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • ddraver
    Well that was...erm...interesting - not sure I'm a total convert - definitely prefer MTB races - the downs are longer!

Apparently the coarse was a difficult one - mostly flat with large patches of deep wet mud that required alot of force to ride my 2.1 tires over, lots of bumps that would have been nicer on a full suss! My plan to stick to the stony bits that no one else would want to ride, without my suspension, did nt work as they rapidly got churned up too...Most of the banks were ride-able on the MTB, and the drops were rather fun as I streaked past everyone else (only to be re-overtaken 10m later)

I have to admit that I'm alot more knacked that I thought I would be, HR did nt drop below 170 the whole way round!

How much difference do the skinny tyres make then?
    - @ddraver
  • Skinny tyres make a big difference and ideally a cross bike is preferable to an MTB. If however you're not sure "cross" is for you don't invest and just enjoy the pain,suffering,mud and more pain.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • ddraver
    hmm, Maxxis do some 1.5in medussas - think i may have to have a look at them!!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    hmm, Maxxis do some 1.5in medussas - think i may have to have a look at them!!
    - @ddraver