Helvellyn

Matt_
Matt_ Posts: 82
edited November 2010 in Routes
Wanting to tick this one off the to do list soon, possibly tomorrow.

What I was thinking at the moment was start in Glenridding, up to the youth hostel then up Sticks Pass, across to Helvellyn summit then down Dollywagon Pike.

I thought I'd heard or read somewhere that the track down Dollywagon had been made in to steps though which doesn't sound like the most bike friendly bridleway to me :?

Suggestions or advice? Obviously wont be heading up there in a t-shirt or anything daft like that!

One more thing is it a full face helmet job or is that overkill?
Current Bikes:
2010 Trek Fuel EX8
2009 Specialized Allez Sport
2006 Scott Reflex 20

Lakes Mountain Bike Routes

Comments

• Yup the Glenridding/Sticks ascent is lovely. We usually come down the same way tbh, not done the Dollywaggon side.
  • Matt_
    Matt_ Posts: 82
    I guess that is an option, if we go up that way we'll know if we like the look of it enough to come back down it.
    Current Bikes:
    2010 Trek Fuel EX8
    2009 Specialized Allez Sport
    2006 Scott Reflex 20

Lakes Mountain Bike Routes
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Matt_ wrote:
    Wanting to tick this one off the to do list soon, possibly tomorrow.

What I was thinking at the moment was start in Glenridding, up to the youth hostel then up Sticks Pass, across to Helvellyn summit then down Dollywagon Pike.

I thought I'd heard or read somewhere that the track down Dollywagon had been made in to steps though which doesn't sound like the most bike friendly bridleway to me :?
    ?

Yes they've built huge steps off Dollywagon Pike, Danny Mac would struggle to get down them.

Also bear in mind that Matterdale common will be very very very very boggy with all the recent rain, that needs to be emphasized. I'd give Matterdale common a wide birth at this time of the year.

If you do go check the weather, especially the wind conditions!
  • From summit down Lowerman is a very good and mildly tech descent, i would wager betterer than the arse clenching square wheeled downhill of dollywagon. You can also climb Keppel cove on the way up from glenridding and descend Sticks.