NOF Club

Valowitz
Valowitz Posts: 15
edited November 2010 in The bottom bracket
Hi everybody,
Another one who joins the club.
I am 48 yrs old and fractured my R hip(subtrochanteric fracture) 3 weeks ago at a slippery sharp bend in the road on a descent.I was cycling with a friend who took me home.When after 2hrs I could still not weightbear I figured something was wrong and called for an ambulance.Once in hospital an X-ray confirmed what I already dreaded.
I was operated(DHS and plate/screws) that same night and went home 2 days later.
Was told on discharge not to weightbear for 6 weeks.
Everything went well after the op and I decided to go back to work after 2 weeks. That kind of backfired as I am now back home totally exhausted.
I've got crutches and a wheelchair which I still had from my previous accident nearly 3 years ago when I fractured both my heels in a skiing accident.
I started to look for some info on these kind of fractures and what happens after and was very pleased when my wife found this thread.
Having read through it I now realise that my recovery wont be a quick job.I initially thought I could go skiing in January next year and playing some golf shortly after but it looks like this is very unlikely.
I will be seeing my consultant in 10d and will be asking him what's allowed and what's not.I am hoping I can start doing some pedalling on a turbo which I plan to buy soon.
The outside of my R thigh is still quite tender and I can just about put a sock onto my R foot now. Many thanks to all who wrote dowm their experiences which made me realise I am not alone out there.
I'll let you know what happened after I have seen my consultant.

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Ouch
    but "NOF?"
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • National Owl Fondlers Club

2800652108_deca9d20ab.jpg

I only joined for the big hooters.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • how did you hurt your heels skiing ?
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    National Owl Fondlers Club

2800652108_deca9d20ab.jpg

I only joined for the big hooters.

That geet is a Nortyhern Oirish Farkwit.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hi Michiel,

bad luck about the accident, I seem to collect injuries without even falling off the bike. Can I just suggest that finding a decent sports physio should be on your list. I have always found doctors to be very good at fixing broken things but very poor at outlining decent recovery regimes and getting the right stretches and strengthening exercises. Nothing worse than waiting for an ageing body to heal. Hang in there though and listen to the advice (I find if you pay for it you are more likely to :wink: )

The owl thing is so surreal that I can only assume that Paul Merton is about to walk through my living room carrying a dolphin.
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    Well 6 weeks today since I broke my left hip. Things have gone very well for me. I was back at work full time after 2 weeks, and on the turbo at the 3 week point. Over the last week, I am up to full pressure on the turbo and pushing out 30-40 mins sessions every night. I walk with a slight limp and use one crutch for long distances, but around work I walk without one. So far so good - hope to be back on the bike at Xmas as the racing season starts in late Jan. My problem is trying to get my fitness and muscle tone back after the op.
  • WTF is NOF?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    NOF is a TLA.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • WTF is NOF?

NOF is Neck Of Femur, basically a broken hip:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_fracture
  • WTF is NOF?

• WTF is NOF?

EEK!

*faints*