steel frame winter bike project

geordiefella
geordiefella Posts: 302
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
after getting a summer bike too good for bad weather and a rohloff hybrid i fancied an n+1 road bike, for all weathers.

In the middle of doing up my 20 year old Claud Butler touring frame (reynolds 501).
So far, i've got new 46cm carbon wrapped bars (ebay £12) to fit the 25.4 stem clamp.
and added Campag Veloce Ergo Levers and veloce brakes (new).

There's room to run schwalbe winter marathon stud tyres if i use the wienmann calipers in icy weather.

The rest of the gruppo is Shimano 7sp with SIS downtube shifters. I might ride it like this for a while and change the chainset as a second stage upgrade (once I've saved a bit)

Springtime will see those change to downtube cable stops (on order with wiggle) and a campag chainset / new rear 10sp rear wheel for the full upgrade. (new rear wheel since i learned that the hub widths from 7 to 10sp are different so its not possible to replace the cassette on its own).

quite excited about it really. I rode the original bike round europe for a few weeks 20 years ago aged 15 with my dad. Thats a good reason to keep the soul of the bike alive and bring it up to speed with a bit of italian engineering.

Geordiefella
Cannondale BadBoy Rohloff
Cannondale SuperSix / 11sp Chorus
Ridley Excalibur / 10sp Centaur
Steel Marin Bear Valley SE
Twitter @roadbikedave

Comments

• Good luck. Please post pics when it's done :)
    One issue you'll need to consider is the spacing of the rear dropouts. 10spd cassettes require 130mm spacing. Yours may be 120 or 126mm. You can fix this with a couple of g-clamps and a great big length of 4x2 :wink:

Click the link in my sig to see my own steel tourer renovation. Also see my thread about it on the "touring" board. It started out as a winter bike too, then suffered from "mission creep" and ended up being a better bike than my summer bike :D