OT: Lord Young - visonary genius or daft buffer?

greg66_tri_v2.0
greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11793486

Why does a bow tie add a slight air of nuttiness? It says "looks at me. See how wonderful I am".

Hilarious how the reporter reels him in with "yeah, yeah, I agree, yeah".

And the sound of eating in the background makes one think his Lordship was no doubt scoffing on roasted baby with fresh duckling stuffing, whilst quaffing a Bloody Good Claret, wot wot?
Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
Bike 2-A

Comments

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Greg66 wrote:
    And the sound of eating in the background makes one think his Lordship was no doubt scoffing on roasted baby with fresh duckling stuffing, whilst quaffing a Bloody Good Claret, wot wot?

+1 When I read of this I immediatly thought that he must have just stepped out from a rather good luncheon with the chaps at White's, Boodles or Brooks's. Feeling a little :oops:
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Lord exhibits lack of empathy towards people on low incomes and/or don't own homes and implicates senior Conservatives as having a similar view?

No way!

Whatever anyone's opinion on his views are, I think its a good thing that they're out in the open. I'd rather the conservatives were more honest about their world view rather than by pushing ideas like compassionate conservatism or big society.
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    The interesting thing here is whether the "never had it so good" comments were directed specifically at low mortgage rates. I think they were, and if they were, then it's true "we have never had it so good", isn't it?

I mean obviously the wider economic picture is very gloomy and so people don't feel good at all, but I don't think the Lord was referring to the wider economic picture at all. It seems that "never had it so good" has been conflated with "very gloomy economic outlook" so that the Lord appears to have said "people have never had it so good in this very gloomy economic outlook" which is obviously a stupid and insensitive thing to say!

I think he was cleverly quoted having heard the transcript and feel the bow-tie is used here to reinforce detachment from the proles! A better tory world view was this one -> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... enses.html
  • Clarion
    Clarion Posts: 223
    The true face of Conservatism reveals itself.

And Cameron uses Rapid rebuttal to ensure the story doesn't have legs.

It's OK to help your mates out financially from the Govt pot while hitting the poor and middle income folk hard, just don't show how smug you are about it!
    Riding on 531
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Jeepie wrote:
    The interesting thing here is whether the "never had it so good" comments were directed specifically at low mortgage rates. I think they were, and if they were, then it's true "we have never had it so good", isn't it?

Depends. If you were on a rate that dropped after a period to standard rates, then you are on easy street. If you were say financially incompetent :oops: and signed up 3 years ago before interest rates fell to a 5 year fix, then you have defo had it better. :oops:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    I've never had it so good

Long may interest rates stay at their present level.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Some people (first time buyers) still can't get mortgages though. And of those who can, find the house prices to be ridiculous. Of course you can always offer less than the asking price.

Just saying is all.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Nifer
    Nifer Posts: 102
    I have the worst mortgage EVER - our rate actually went UP when our fixed rate ended - I know of nobody else this happened too...
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    DDD - I certainly agree with you that house prices are ridiculous and getting a mortgage is tough too. I think this is why Lord Young will be doing less speaking, even though he was solely referring to the base rate. I appreciate people can be unlucky with their mortgage rate or not get one at all, so I'll speak a bit less about this now!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,407
    Nifer wrote:
    I have the worst mortgage EVER - our rate actually went UP when our fixed rate ended - I know of nobody else this happened too...

I'm assuming there was a reason you didn't just switch to something better, or was your first mortgage a phenomenally good deal?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    TBH I agree - take a historical view and we truly have never had it so good.

Life expectancy is up, GDP is up (ish) and we don't all have to run around the workhouses scraping up spare lumps of coal to heat our evening gruel back in the slophouse. (Thinking Dickensian here).

The fact that unemployment is at 1.5 million is pretty shitty for those involved and does make him look like a bit of a chump.

Storm in a teacup tbh.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Some people (first time buyers) still can't get mortgages though. And of those who can, find the house prices to be ridiculous. Of course you can always offer less than the asking price.

Just saying is all.

You want to try being in a house that is now too small, but has sweet FA equity that prevents you from moving to a bigger property without a massive deposit.......

Like walking through a jungle of laundry in my dining room atm!

Clearly, Lord Young should not be advising beach donkeys on the type of sombrero they should wear.....
  • All a bit academic now as he's resigned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11798366
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • notsoblue
    All a bit academic now as he's resigned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11798366

Excellent, we can rest assured that the coalition have purged all who hold these views from the government. Job done! :)
  • There is an important point in what he said - many people have seen their mortgage payments drop substantially. House prices have fallen a bit, but are still overvalued on most measures (though these measures are pretty shaky) - low interest rates have almost certainly helped prop them up. So if the economy recovers and interest rates go back up, a double dip in the housing market is very likely to be on the cards.
  • And the adenoidal bastard-fatherer jumps onto a passing bandwagon...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11799897

To criticise the appointment in the first place is a bit rich coming from a man who appointed a economic novice former postman as shadow chancellor ...

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • notsoblue
    Greg66 wrote:
    And the adenoidal bastard-fatherer jumps onto a passing bandwagon...

To criticise the appointment in the first place is a bit rich coming from a man who appointed a economic novice former postman as shadow chancellor ...

The whole reaction to this is rather predictable and tired. They should have kept him in there, screw public opinion. You can't predict which way its going to blow, but you can guarantee it won't be rational.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,407
    Wow! You reeeeeally don't like Miliband, do you Greg66? And you just can't resist chucking that postman jibe in again.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Sewinman
    Greg66 wrote:

Are you conistent with that view re- having to have an economics background to be chancellor? How about Osbourne's background? Does not seem an ideal candidate to me really.

Cable or Huhne have better credentials.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    edited November 2010
    Sewinman wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

Are you conistent with that view re- having to have an economics background to be chancellor? How about Osbourne's background? Does not seem an ideal candidate to me really.

There's a *bit* of a difference, isn't there?

Degree from Oxford, vs umm, left school at 15, stacked shelves at Tesco for three years, then graduated to being a postie*.

Shadowed the Chancellor from 2005 (before that was shadow Chief Sec to the Treasury), vs no experience anywhere near the Treasury prior to appointment as Chancellor. Asked what his first act would be, Mr Johnson said: ‘Pick up a primer of economics for beginners.’

So, yes, apart from those things, I'm hopelessly inconsistent.

Cable's an unreconstructed commie local councillor, with a beguiling delivery. That man's a danger to us all, mark my words.

*Some might say the educational difference is closer than it might appear on first blush, and in a different argument, I'd be one of them

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    Cable's an unreconstructed commie local councillor, with a beguiling delivery. That man's a danger to us all, mark my words.

Cable? A communist? Can't work out whether this is some joke I don't get, you're trolling, or just deluded. Pray enlighten me.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    As soon as we have finished discussing politics we can move on to a nice chat about peoples views on religion :twisted: :lol:
  • "Capitalism kills competition", and he wanted the so-called mansion tax (aka the tax on a high proportion of houses in London and the nice houses outside it that would have created a hole in housing market between £999,999 and, oh, £2.5m? That would also have forced any (say) person with modest cashflow but a mortgage free capital asset to have to sell their home. Idiot) in the Coalition agreement.

That'll do for me. Line him up in front of the nearest wall.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Sewinman
    Greg66 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

There's a *bit* of a difference, isn't there?

Degree from Oxford, vs umm, left school at 15, stacked shelves at Tesco for three years, then graduated to being a postie*.

Shadowed the Chancellor from 2005 (before that was shadow Chief Sec to the Treasury), vs no experience anywhere near the Treasury prior to appointment as Chancellor. Asked what his first act would be, Mr Johnson said: ‘Pick up a primer of economics for beginners.’

So, yes, apart from those things, I'm hopelessly inconsistent.

*Some might say the educational difference is closer than it might appear on first blush, and in a different argument, I'd be one of them

Hmmm, I don't find that too convincing - rather a lot of political prejudice on show.
    Osbourne could be referred to as a 'Selfridges shop assistant'....he has not really done anything in industry since then. I agree Johnson is not ideal, but that is true for most of them - including Gideon.

Most commies don't work for Shell.
  • DonDaddyD
    It's the lack of direct experience that bothers me.

To be honest I think i'm living in the wrong reality. I'd much rather prefer to be in the one where David Miliband was the leader and a credible (who has actual experience or an understanding of political economics - which as I understand it is different to real economics in that you sell the best numbers while butt shafting out of sight) Shadow Chancellor who was capable of taking on Osborne's storm trooper march.

Seriously who would vote Ed so far?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Sewinman wrote:
    I agree Johnson is not ideal

OH COME ON!

That is one muthafcuking big understatement.

A man from Kew York should have more savvy than that. I'm disappointed. Really disappointed.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Sewinman
    Greg66 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    I agree Johnson is not ideal

OH COME ON!

A man from Kew York should have more savvy than that. I'm disappointed. Really disappointed.

+1 :lol: Forgive me.
  • DonDaddyD
    Greg66 wrote:
    "Capitalism kills competition", and he wanted the so-called mansion tax (aka the tax on a high proportion of houses in London and the nice houses outside it that would have created a hole in housing market between £999,999 and, oh, £2.5m? That would also have forced any (say) person with modest cashflow but a mortgage free capital asset to have to sell their home. Idiot) in the Coalition agreement.

How much your pad worth then?

:lol::lol::lol:
    OH COME ON!

He's on fire Ladies and Gentlemen.

So Greg out of interest what decision do you think the coalition has taken that is unfair. Have any of the decisions (policy changes primarily) affected you?
    Food Chain number = 4

• Greg66 wrote:
    "Capitalism kills competition", and he wanted the so-called mansion tax (aka the tax on a high proportion of houses in London and the nice houses outside it that would have created a hole in housing market between £999,999 and, oh, £2.5m? That would also have forced any (say) person with modest cashflow but a mortgage free capital asset to have to sell their home. Idiot) in the Coalition agreement.

Oh right - random policies you disagree with = communism.

As for the capitalism kills competition line, he was merely echoing the views of that famous Scottish communist, Adam Smith.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    How much your pad worth then?

It's others I worry for DDD. Not myself. Others.
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    So Greg out of interest what decision do you think the coalition has taken that is unfair. Have any of the decisions (policy changes primarily) affected you?

So far? Hmm. Can't think of one off the top of my head. The only thing I can think of that has affected us is the removal of child benefit, which I have to admit I felt mildly embarrassed to be in receipt of. Not embarrassed enough to send it back, obviously. I mean, it's mine, right?

But this is still the phoney war. The next two years are when we'll see the impact of the cuts. All we've got right now is the talk about the cuts.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A