Lockring too big for cassette?

stick_man
stick_man Posts: 43
edited November 2010 in Workshop
Hi,

I've installed an Ultegra 10spd cassette on the hub of my new Fulcrum Racing wheels, which are Shimano compatible. The lockring say's it's for 10spd cassette's, but it's diameter is actually too large such that the chain can't sit over the smallest cog.

I guess the question is, have I done something wrong here, or do I just need to buy a smaller lockring?

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    did you not get a lock ring with the cassette?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi nicklouse, yes I did get a lockring with the cassette and this fitted fine on my Mavic Aksiums. I can't use the same lockring on the Fulcrum wheels because the diameter of the threaded part is the wrong size.
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    I'm a little confused....the lockring is OK on one set of wheels, but on another it impinges on the chain?

Could it be you are using a 12T lockring with an 11T sprocket? Today I fitted a 12-27 105 cassette (5700), and the lockring had 12T printed on it.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    ChrisSA wrote:

Could it be you are using a 12T lockring with an 11T sprocket?

Learned that lesson the hard way myself. An 11-28 casette with a 12t lockring and couldn't work out why the gears sounded out of index, it wasn't till I got the rear mech at eye level I saw the error of my ways.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • nicklouse
    stick_man wrote:
    Hi nicklouse, yes I did get a lockring with the cassette and this fitted fine on my Mavic Aksiums. I can't use the same lockring on the Fulcrum wheels because the diameter of the threaded part is the wrong size.

dont know why as any shimano pattern lock ring fits. Sram or shimano.

which Fulcrum wheel build is it.? but as above make sure it is an 11T version or you will have chain contact.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    so i am still wondering what was happening here.

which fulcrums were they?