Cycling the morning after the night before

Alphabet
Alphabet Posts: 436
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Woke up this morning feeling tremendously bad after lashings of red wine, beer and a curry at lahore. 40 minutes on the bike and most of the squiffiness is gone. is there a better hangover cure than cycling in the cold? i think not.

only problem is I'm very tired and have been sitting in the office in my tights for the last hour and a half. can't be arsed to go and have a shower

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Alphabet wrote:
    Woke up this morning feeling tremendously bad after lashings of red wine, beer and a curry at lahore. 40 minutes on the bike and most of the squiffiness is gone. is there a better hangover cure than cycling in the cold? i think not.

only problem is I'm very tired and have been sitting in the office in my tights for the last hour and a half. can't be arsed to go and have a shower

aaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh! Noooooooooo!!!! Can't - get - image - out - of - my - mind

Hold on - are you a woman? (places hands on thighs Vic Reeves stylee, just in case answer is affirmative)
  • Alphabet
    it's ok, i have got baggies on over the top.

finally made the effort to go for a shower and some swine is already in there. outrageous, so i'm back at my desk in my lovely warm tights. mmm... warm...
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Was out on the red wine last night too but, having cycled in yesterday, the bike was left at work, consequently PT this morning and I still have a dull head. Cycling on a cool day is certainly an excellent hangover cure, I'll just have to make do with a big lunch and the resultant food coma this afternoon. Out again this evening but will at least cycle back from work to wake myself up first.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    swimming is a nicer feeling after a skinful but cycling will certainly get rid of lingering meh
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • PBo
    Is it an urban myth that you can be prosecuted for "drink driving" on a bike? I'm sure it is, but I feel I hear it often enough......
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Ran into a bin.....in my own alleyway last time I cycled after a skinful.....
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Biking is pretty good but skiing/snowboarding is better. That may be coz you're on holiday, though...
    PBo wrote:
    Is it an urban myth that you can be prosecuted for "drink driving" on a bike? I'm sure it is, but I feel I hear it often enough......
    http://twitter.com/#%21Citycyclecop/status/5521987615068160
    As we enter the festive season please do not drink & cycle - it is an offence and you can be prosecuted.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Great thread.
    Am doing the same ( though I didn't go to the Lahore , had a veggie curry at home with some Chenin Blanc ) am off for shower now.

btw , Lahore is good for chops , Mirch Masala good for main curries.

and Tayyabs ? anyone been there ?
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    PBo wrote:

You can be prosecuted for cycling whilst intoxicated, but it is not the same as "drink driving".
  • I'd consider myself fit to walk home if I could stand, but would not drive if I had anything significant to drink (obviously). Cycling occupies a somewhat ambiguous space in the middle... I'm never really sure how much booze makes me unfit to cycle.
  • W1
    ooermissus wrote:
    I'd consider myself fit to walk home if I could stand, but would not drive if I had anything significant to drink (obviously). Cycling occupies a somewhat ambiguous space in the middle... I'm never really sure how much booze makes me unfit to cycle.

Summary here:
    http://www.bikeforall.net/content/cycli ... he_law.php

"CYCLING WHILE DRUNK

Cycling is intoxicating, it gives a natural high but it's also a very sociable activity and those who partake in the weekend 'pub run' will attest that cycling is easier after the odd drink or two.

A social tipple, imbibed in moderation - the proverbial swift half - will not lead to a massive impairment in your ability to ride home but, despite alcohol's pain reducing effect, it impairs athletic performance so too much booze is bad for biking.

The Licensing Act 1872 makes it an offence to be drunk in charge of a bicycle (or any other vehicle or carriage, or cattle) on a highway or in a public place but this old law also forbids any public drunkenness - even in a pub - so is clearly never enforced.

In law a bicycle is defined as a carriage for use on the highway but cyclists are not in charge of 'mechanically propelled' vehicles so, in law, do not have to adhere to exactly the same 'drink drive' rules as motorists.

Section 30 Road Traffic Act 1988 says: "It is an offence for a person to ride a cycle on a road or other public place when unfit to ride through drink or drugs - that is to say - is under the influence of a drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle.

In Scotland a PC may arrest without warrant a person committing an offence under this section. There is no obligation for a cyclist to submit to a blood or urine alcohol test.

'Road' in the above bit of legislation includes a bridleway so don't think you can get blotto at a country pub and ride home 'off road' without risk.

And here's the rub. If you ride drunk you risk endangering yourself and possibly others by your actions. Would you ride home blindfolded? Beer-googles and bicycles do not mix. And, as stated above, cycling 'dangerously' can be fined by up to £2500.

You cannot get endorsements on your UK driving licence for a 'drink cycling' offence."
  • fatherted wrote:

yep, a long while ago. remember it being good.

anyone been to Woodlands, just off Leicester Square - its a great vegetarian indian, superb food.
  • W1
    And the actual law:

Section 30 of the Road Traffic Act 1988, as amended:

30(1) A person who, when riding a cycle on a road or other public place, is unfit to ride through drink or drugs (that is to say, is under the influence of drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle) is guilty of an offence.

NOTES

(i) The evidence of the extent to which a person is affected must be measured by means other than the provision of a specimen of breath, blood or urine, as there is no power to require such a specimen in these circumstances. However, if such a specimen was offered, it is probable that the evidence obtained by analysis of the specimen would be admissible.
    (ii) In Scotland a constable may arrest without warrant a person committing an offence.
    (iii) In England and Wales a constable may only arrest without warrant in accordance with the powers of arrest set out in section 24 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984. In such an instance, that power might be exercised where a satisfactory address has not been furnished, or the constable has reasonable grounds for believing that arrest is necessary to prevent such a person causing physical injury to himself or any other person (see also other conditions in s24 of PACE).
    (iv) The absence of a specific power of arrest in England and Wales affects the ability of the police to present any form of medical evidence of the accused's condition.
    (v) There is no offence of 'being in charge' of a cycle under the Road Traffic Acts, but such conduct may well be an offence of drunk in charge of a carriage under section 12 of the Licensing Act 1872. A bicycle or tricycle is a carriage for the purpose of that section.
  • PBo
    Ahhh thanks.

It was actually your very last sentence about endorsements that I was suspicious of.....
  • W1
    PBo wrote:
    Ahhh thanks.

It was actually your very last sentence about endorsements that I was suspicious of.....

But, beware - magistrates have a general power to disqualify you from driving for a variety of "non-motoring" offences.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    W1 wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    Ahhh thanks.

But, beware - magistrates have a general power to disqualify you from driving for a variety of "non-motoring" offences.

They do, but it is virtually unused- not sure why unless its thought to be inequitable to ban you from driving for committing an offence that is not related to driving or the road at all

I wonder what your car insurers would make of it isf you disclosed a motoring ban for say an offence of assault
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Alphabet
    fatherted wrote:
    Great thread.
    Am doing the same ( though I didn't go to the Lahore , had a veggie curry at home with some Chenin Blanc ) am off for shower now.

oh yes. had the chops last night. yummy. i agree though, for a full blowout meal, mirch masala is the business. their spicy kofte style kebabs a gorgeous but tend to blow my head off
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    +1 to cycling clearing a hangover

Have ridden home in various states of inebriation and the gyroscopic effect has always worked for me. Did get home once and fell over once I got off :oops:
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Can you be breathalyzed if you're not driving a motorised vehicle?
    exercise.png
  • Alphabet
    TheStone wrote:

nope. it's on the basis that you appear intoxicated i believe
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    Perhaps I'm over analysing, and there is obviously a whole world of difference, but am I the only one struck by the rather uncomfortable juxtaposition of this thread and the Catriona Patel thread?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Alphabet wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

You're not obliged to give a sample for testing when cycling. However, the police are seen by the courts as being expert in spotting drunkenness, so if they say you are, you are.
  • Alphabet wrote:
    TheStone wrote:

As I understand it, one cannot be required (subject to further sanction) to provide a breath test in this circumstance, but there is nothing to prevent it being offered or asked for.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    fatherted wrote:
    Great thread.

Yes - many times, it's fantastic. Excellent food, chaotic atmosphere, bring your own, cheap. Haven't been to a Brick Lane curry house since I first went there.