what is the minimum width for clincher tyres

celt1972
celt1972 Posts: 26
edited November 2010 in Road beginners
Guys i am new to this, i have a trek 1.5 tripple and i a quite happy with it, but i am looking at making a few minor low cost upgrades to prepare for a few duathalons next year.

First change i thought i would go for narrower tyres, what would be the minimum width of clincher you could / should get.

Second potentially new wheels or good 2nd hand,any recommendations

Thirdly thought about changing the 50 tooth chain ring to a 52.53 . or change the back cassette to a ultegra 9 speed

Any views, particularily on the first 2 the third is a bit tenuous i know

Thanks

Comments

• AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    1) You can get 20c, but 23c is as narrow as the vast majority go.
    2) Would need an idea of budget.
    3) You could put a 52T chain ring on, but I believe you have an 11-26 cassette on the back? 50/11 should be high enough for any situation. You might want a closer-spaced cassette on the back, say 11-21.

If you haven't done so already, get some clipless pedals and shoes.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    Also for 3) I don't believe you will be able to bolt on a 53 tooth chainring as your chainset is most likely to be a compact with 110 BCD (bolt circumference diameter) whereas 53 chainrings are 130 BCD. I think you'd be ok with 52 though.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    weapons wrote:
    Also for 3) I don't believe you will be able to bolt on a 53 tooth chainring as your chainset is most likely to be a compact with 110 BCD (bolt circumference diameter) whereas 53 chainrings are 130 BCD. I think you'd be ok with 52 though.

You can get 53 tooth 110 bcd rings.
    More problems but still living....
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    No, you could fit a 53T. Firstly, the BCD is 130/74, not 110 (that's a touring triple). Secondly, even if it was 110 BCD you can get compact 53T rings.

I still don't think it's necessary though. I've only spun out my top 52/12 combo a few times, and that was at about 45mph (big hill!). 50/11 is actually a higher gear.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • balthazar
    balthazar Posts: 1,565
    What's your rationale for the narrowest tyres? 20mm tyres only offer low rolling resistance if they are inflated to a very high pressure, which isn't practical for normal roads. In general, for a given inflation pressure, wider tyres are faster rolling.

At normal pressure (90-120psi) 23 or 25mm tyres have lower rolling resistance, are more comfortable, and more secure downhill. Choose tyres with high-TPI casings and properly slick tread for the lowest losses.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd go for 23mms and I doubt a bigger chainring than a 50 is really needed. Learn to pedal faster rather than grinding a big gear.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Narrow tyres = faster is a common misnomer. As others have pointed out, wider tyres are just as fast, are more comfortable,give better grip and puncture less - 20mm tyres are terrible for cornering too. Learn to pedal faster if you want to go quicker too.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..