40k/25 mile TT ride in NWK/SE London.

irezumi
irezumi Posts: 142
Looking to do some 40k TT practice somewhere near these areas. Best I can come up with the moment is to do the loop of the A20 from the Farningham roundabout to the top of Wrotham hill and back. This is about 5 miles so 5 runs, 3 up the hard way, 2 back down hill.

This my best bet or there anything more suitable?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    A very busy fast road I avoid at all costs.

What about Eynsford to Otford road?
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Just find a 25 mile loop somewhere, doesn't need to be a main road for training for a TT. As you getting fitter the times will come down for the loop.
  • irezumi
    @Gazzaputt, although it's a fast road I prefer it to Eynsford-Otford as it's much wider. I dont use the Wrotham HIll bit anymore, but dont mind this part.

@SBezza, only need to assess my time over a couple of sessions, I'm not planning on doing any 40kTT races so want something very simple that I know is the right-ish distance. I dont run any comp equipment either so need to have it in my head ready, and am trying to avoid junctions.

Thanks for the advice though, will bear it in mind.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Not sure why you want to assess your time, if you are not planning on racing any. :? Surely if you want to assess how fast you can do 25 miles, the easy way is enter a 25 mile TT in the spring/summer.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    irezumi wrote:
    @Gazzaputt, although it's a fast road I prefer it to Eynsford-Otford as it's much wider. I dont use the Wrotham HIll bit anymore, but dont mind this part.

Thanks for the advice though, will bear it in mind.

I have clocked drivers at least 80mph braking like mad as the approach the junction to Eynsford.

I rode up and down it one and the speed cars went past going up and down the hill to Brands scared the living daylights.

Motorcyclists call it death hill!
  • vs
    vs Posts: 468
    Motorcyclists call it death hill!
    Nice.

How blessed to live on Exmoor.
  • irezumi
    I've done ridiculous speeds on my motorbikes over the years along there too. :oops:

But It's a bit too easy to cover 25 miles under 70 mins on a motorbike. :lol:
  • I don't really understand what you're aiming to achieve by doing this?

If you want to know what time you can do for a 25 mile TT, then doing it at this time of year is hopeless as your time will be much slower than doing it in the summer. Also, times vary a lot for different courses, so the only way to truly know what time you can do is to do a 25 mile TT event then you'll at least be able to compare your time against other people on the same day, though with an early morning start conditions can still be a lot faster for the later riders.

If all you want is a fixed course that you can ride periodically to test your fitness, then you'd be better off testing your fitness on an indoor trainer to give an environment that is more reproducible all year round.