685 vs 740mm handlebar?

evernas
evernas Posts: 43
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Is there a huge difference between 685 and 740 mm bar width (except those 55 mm lol)?
thank you
Note; The Term "Mountain Bike" Is Incorrectly Used By Marketing People To Sell More Bikes To The General Public.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They will feel different yes. But the beauty of a wider bar is you can chop it down if you don't like the feel.

Wider bars add stability to the steering, but also stratch your arms out a little more. Can feel uncomfortable if you have narrow shoulders.
  • I've made that jump lately, i've got wide shoulders so it makes me much more relaxed and in control. Also due to physics it is easier to actually steer.
    For professional MTB & BMX coaching, training & guiding!
    www.pedaltoprogression.com
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    A huge difference, yes. However I prefer the feel of wider bars, and as Super said, you can always chop them down.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I NEED to get wider bars, the steering on my bike is atrocious with the narrow bars it has right now.

They make steering more comfortable and stable, and that is always necessary.
  • I have been looking into this too due to narrow bars/wide shoulders.

Could anyone recommend what wide bars are out there?

I have been looking at Easton at the min who advertise a wide bar.
    god made me fat so the short and ugly could still get laid

Cobia 29er 1/2 blinged
  • Just got some Funn 750 bars (£32 CRC). I am 6'4" with wide shoulders and they are good. Points to note though:

They do make you stretch, the radius drawn by the ends of widers bars around then steerer is quite a bit bigger. As such smaller steering movements need more movements of the hands than you are used to, and therefore you arms get extended quicker.

As a result of the above I have ordered a shorter stem to balance it out.

Control is much better though, you get finer control and more power for vey rocky sections.

Also for wider shoulders you get more comfort.

You also get more space on the bars if you want to move your brakes further inboard for 1 fingered braking. Although that did mean I had to get XT shifters so I could remove the 'windows' and keep the shifters in reach.

Going longer will mean you can trim the length to suit as already mentioned.

What I would say is go for it, but you may find yourself spending more than planned.

Oh one last thing, your brake levers and shifters will be further from the top tube/forks etc so make sure that you have long enough cables and outers etc.
  • My bike came with 620mm bars. Soon got changed to the wider easton vice 711mm bars along with shorter 80mm stem.

My riding has improved drasticially especailly cornering. Also feel more in control of the front end. Huge improvement.
    pain is weakness leaving the body...
  • On-one and their ebay outlet 'priceshagger' had some FSA gravity bars for £15, i went from 635 to 680 which was an improvement but still not quite there so picked up the 710's, is more palateable when its £30 for two bars!!
    there not the lightest bars out there but for the money cant go wrong!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481