Road bike tyres

black dog
black dog Posts: 9
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
I know there have been a few threads touching on 'what tyre' but there are lots of differing views. I am planning to start commuting a couple of days a week on my Spesh Allez. My commute will be entirely on road and will be about 4 miles in the morning and a bit longer if I feel in the mood at night. I don't know much about road tyres, mostly a MTBer. I have seen recommendationd for Vittoria Randonneurs, Schwalbe Marathon Plus and Continental Gator Duraskins. Could you recommend me a tyre choice? Is there a preferred size for commuting? I got some Crud Roadracers so I guess I can't go with a 'fat' tyre.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Welcome.

Schwalbe Durano Pluses. Awesome tyre. Changed from Gator Skins because I got fed up with the tyre wall de-threading on the 25mm versions. While I was using them, I thought the 23mms were ok, but, in retrospect, the Duranos are far, far better. They do the same route as the Gator Skins did and similar weekennd riding.

But others on here have had very good experiences with the Gator Skins.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    I've found Specialized Armadillo All-Conditions to be pretty good. Available in narrow section fittings (with puncture-protection), tough and sensibly priced.
    They feel (subjectively) lighter and quicker than the oft-recommended Marathon+

You might look at Halo Twin-Rails, too- these are targeted at couriers, again fairly sensibly priced (and available in wacky colours, if that's your bag) and a useful 24c section. I havn't used them enough to comment on the reliability, though.

Cheers,
    W.