I'm getting The Fear

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited November 2010 in MTB general
I think I may have just done something I'll regret...

http://www.nofussevents.co.uk/event/Endurance-Downhill/1810/#entries

Someone tell me it'll be fine!
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    Never done downhill, really want to and that looks simply AWESOME.

Go Northwind, go :D
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    it'll be fine!

the winner will do loads more runs than you...but thats not what its about..

the standard of rider last year was very wide...

have fun...maybe see you there!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • MTFU Northwind :lol:
  • Be Fine fella,
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    edited November 2010
    You went for it then

I might go just to see you fall flat on your face and get run over by hundreds of riders who couldn't see you because your so small :lol::lol::lol::lol:

EDIT: do it on the rigid!!!! :twisted:
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Go and pump some iron and you'll be fine.
    Remember, speed is your friend.
    Many happy trails!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    looks good, i'm quite tempted myself :D
  • Northwind
    That's reassuring :lol: No idea what to expect, I'm no downhiller but I know i can do the course, er, at least once. No plans to compete obviously but I don't want to be last! (my one descent of the WC route was about the same time as Dan Atherton's last year, but i think he got off and walked half way, or got lost and ended up doing a quick lap of the XC WC route too, or something) And it gives me something to plan for next year which is something I'm kind of lacking just now. I love it up there so it's a good excuse to get back up for a practice run too.

None of my mates are up for it though so I'll be a proper solo soloist :oops:
    Where is this event?

Fort William, on the world cup course.
    peter413 wrote:
    EDIT: do it on the rigid!!!! :twisted:

I think I could probably get it down. Once... Perhaps even without breaking anything. But you know what? We're never going to know for sure :lol: You on the other hand would be welcome to a lend if you want to try, as long as I don't have to be the one to tell your dad when you're killed.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • welshkev
    so i guess the general idea is to run to your bike, do the downhill, then catch the gondala back up to chill out and rest, then do that a many times as you can?
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    None of my mates are up for it though so I'll be a proper solo soloist :oops:

Ahem :wink:
  • welshkev wrote:
    so i guess the general idea is to run to your bike, do the downhill, then catch the gondala back up to chill out and rest, then do that a many times as you can?

That sounds like a good amount of fun, if I was in the UK I would try it.
  • Northwind
    welshkev wrote:

You have to ride up a bit too on the first lap- up to the wallride then back down the motorway to split the pack. Possibly the only place I'll have any advantage all day :lol: The top guy got 14 laps last time I think which is insane frankly... On the other hand the worst placed guy managed 1 lap in 33 minutes this year, I think I can beat that :lol:

"Riders of this gruelling event will need physical strength, quick reflexes, superb bike control and an unerring eye for the right line as they speed down the 2.82km track. They will also need huge amounts of stamina in order to ride the track as many times as possible in six hours!"

I don't say this often, but on this occasion, LOL.
    peter413 wrote:
    Ahem :wink:

Well, if you seriously want to give it a go I can help with that but, um. Be sure you're up for it. It's not the hardest course I've ever ridden but nothing else has taken the steam out of my stride so much, it's consistently pretty damn hard (superbagneres and laggan had harder sections but the wc goes on forever) . And it'll hammer s**t out of your bike to boot. Also check and see if there's an age limit, there might be.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Having never ridden the course, I can't fully commit but I shall make a final decision once I've ridden the course and I should have a DH bike by then and it would give me even more of an incentive to get fitter and thats a lot of and's :lol:

You know me though, I'm even more stupid than you :lol::lol::lol:
  • Northwind
    Sounds sensible enough to me.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    welshkev wrote:

.... Fort William... As in Scotland.... In the UK.....
    You know... they only hold one of the biggest cycling events in the UK there...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Northwind
    read the bit you quoted again and look at his location?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • welshkev
    ilovedirt wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

huh? :?
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

That sounds like a good amount of fun,u]b] if I was in the UK[/b[/u I would try it.

I have highlighted the main point of my post, please see with your prescriptions on. You may also notice my location, which happens to be a bit away.[/u]
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Do it, you only live once, and who cares if you finish last, it's the winners that get remembered.
    2.8km in 6 hours I recon I might do it 7 times on my hardtail. One run every
    hour seems reasonable. And if I'm in UK that summer I might just do it.

Btw, on what bike will you be doing this, because with your silly builds every month
    it's hard to keep track who's riding what.
  • Northwind
    edited November 2010
    It'll be the Hemlock for sure. I could do the course on my Mmmbop... And that'd give me an excuse too, "I'd have done better but I was on a £150 hardtail!". But it'd be harder, and harder on me too- I'm going to pack up before the bike does i think :lol:

So Hemlock + Lyriks + 2 degree head angle reducer + DH Highrollers. Might single ring it, might just leave it like normal.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Get that 160mm plate as well, you'll thank me :wink:

And stick with a Nev on the back and a Minion on the front, thats much better than two High Rollers IMHO
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

That sounds like a good amount of fun,u]b] if I was in the UK[/b[/u I would try it.

I have highlighted the main point of my post, please see with your prescriptions on. You may also notice my location, which happens to be a bit away.[/u]
    Sorry i thought you said if it was in the uk, my mistake.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

Sorry i thought you said if it was in the uk, my mistake.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cant recommend No Fuss events highly enough. Last year I did 10 under the Ben. Had a bitch of a run. Mechanicals on 2 out of my 5 laps but still felt part of it.

Defo gonna do 10 at Kirroughtree and maybe Tour de Ben Nevis next year.

Best of Luck
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Northwind wrote:
    So Hemlock + Lyriks + 2 degree head angle reducer + DH Highrollers.
    Looks like a 10+ runs if the weather is nice and dry, with no mechanical problems and pinch flats.
  • Northwind
    cant recommend No Fuss events highly enough. Last year I did 10 under the Ben. Had a ***** of a run. Mechanicals on 2 out of my 5 laps but still felt part of it.

Yeah, I did 10UTB this year and it was well done but I didn't enjoy it much. Weather didn't help! The route was good (loved those chaotic natural bits) but the traffic drove me nuts. I quit after 4 laps with a few hours left just out of loss of enthusiasm. Won't do a race like that again but it's the format not the organisers if you know what I mean.
    peter413 wrote:
    Get that 160mm plate as well, you'll thank me :wink:

And stick with a Nev on the back and a Minion on the front, thats much better than two High Rollers IMHO

What would you know about Hemlocks :lol: : I might invest in the updated chainstays though.

Just bought a set of cheap Minions off ebay so that'll do.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Supertackies... I figure the drag will mean I have to brake less :lol: I'll try 'em out at innerleithen first and see how they work.
    Uncompromising extremist