S'pose I had to get shouted at one day...

snooks
snooks Posts: 1,521
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Well I've lost my being-shouted-at-for-no-reason cherry tonight, so does that make me a real commuter now? :D

I was happily filtering up a load of stationary traffic with cones on the left going towards Stratford, passed the inside of a flat bed tranny van. When just as I get past the open passenger window, geezer inside shouts Oi!!! as I go by. Bit of a wobble as you do, and I kept going.

Unluckily for him, the name of the company was on the side. Got the reg and the company name and whaddayouknow they are the first result on google. Shame that, well it would have been rude not to let his employers know.....wouldn't it? :twisted:
FCN:5, 8 & 9
If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
THE Game
Watch out for HGVs

Comments

• Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    been shouted at by a black cab driver and been given some sign language and shouted at by two motorcyclists, all part and parcel really
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Paul E wrote:
    all part and parcel really

I've been cycling to work for 3 years and it's been me shouting for a reason. :) I'd heard about it happening to others, usually WVM having a laff, but never experienced it until tonight
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Well not sure its up there with getting a M-Dot tattoo - but welcome to the modern world of being a cyclist. Its sad really but happens to us all at some time.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Annoying but ''Oi!'' doesn't really add up to a criminal offence, does it? The ''driver's mate'' is usually as bored as hell, sitting in a tin box going nowhere when he just wants to get home. I find you can sometimes even have a laugh with them. It makes their long journey home more entertaining and you can then just give them a cheery see-you-later as you filter on by. They may say ''farking tossa'' to each other afterwards, but nobody gets hurt :wink:
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    or you chase them down, find their window is still down and scream back at them.... Hypothetically off course :roll:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I got called "w4nk3r" by some chavs last friday. Do I qualify?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Annoying but ''Oi!'' doesn't really add up to a criminal offence, does it?

Sure, but shouts and honks are distracting, can make you jump and are potentially dangerous. Generally these things are meant to indicate danger or to bring your awareness to something and so if one of these happens close to me I'll be trying to work out why which may take my attention away from the immediate road ahead.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • i got abuse hurled at me by a woman and her daughter monday night on the way home, cant recall doing anything wrong or obstructive...couldnt make out exactly what they said as they revved past me then slowed down but im sure it wasnt 'fancy a cuppa at ours before you get home?"
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    Annoying but ''Oi!'' doesn't really add up to a criminal offence, does it?

Sure, but shouts and honks are distracting, can make you jump and are potentially dangerous. Generally these things are meant to indicate danger or to bring your awareness to something and so if one of these happens close to me I'll be trying to work out why which may take my attention away from the immediate road ahead.

I know and I agree completely. It's just that, the more time I spend on the road, the more I see drivers and passengers as fellow journeymen - hell, I even found myself having a cheerful chat with a scooterist in the ASL the other day. He was technically in the wrong but it didn't seem worth getting all ''us and them'' about it. I find that the more cheerful contact I have with others on the road the more enjoyable my journeys are. None of this stops me having a fair old ding-dong with dangerous or careless drivers when my good nature reservoir has been emptied.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Bless - glad it was just a shout snooks!

Had coffee, tea, various other liquids thrown at me - ciggies thrown all sorts......

Glad I am on a quiet commute now!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Bless - glad it was just a shout snooks!

Had coffee, tea, various other liquids thrown at me - ciggies thrown all sorts......

Glad I am on a quiet commute now!

anything a bit more silence of the lambs? you are in the boonies after all
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • pianoleo
    pianoleo Posts: 135
    Was coming down the A1000 from Whetstone to North Finchley, about 11.00 last night, and some teenagers in a Corsa hurtled past hurling abuse. Pretty sure I would've come off had my SPDs not been multi-release! Then I lost my scalp on College Road at about 12.20(am). Not a good day...
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I got called "w4nk3r" by some chavs last friday. Do I qualify?

Only you, and possibly your roommates at boarding school, can possibly answer that!