Is Lee/Cragg Quarry link open yet?

newborn
newborn Posts: 69
edited January 2011 in Routes
Hi,

Does anyone know if the new link between Lee & Cragg Quarry is open yet, no one seems to be 100% sure.

Cheers
I'll have a slice

Comments

• It says in this months MBR that it should be open mid November.
  • The link is open I was up there on Sunday :lol:
  • velvet
    velvet Posts: 22
    doooog35 wrote:
    The link is open I was up there on Sunday :lol:

Is it signposted? I might take a day off and head up to Bacup if so.
  • I really fancy giving Lee and Cragg a try but son't know where the best place to park etc my mate only lives in Heywood and never even knew of it's existence untill i told him a few weeks ago. Any help with parking and tips would be much appreciated.
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    velvet wrote:
    doooog35 wrote:
    The link is open I was up there on Sunday :lol:

Is it signposted? I might take a day off and head up to Bacup if so.

This. The cycling club at uni is heading up this weekend, and I think I could convince them to do Cragg Quarry if it meant we didn't have to cycle on the roads or load the bikes back onto the trailer.
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    I really fancy giving Lee and Cragg a try but son't know where the best place to park etc my mate only lives in Heywood and never even knew of it's existence untill i told him a few weeks ago. Any help with parking and tips would be much appreciated.

Just off the A681,you can park at the back off the kingfisher centre.I think the postcode is OL13 0BB.
    As for tips,take spare tubes.
    You will not be dissapointed its like a big mountain bike skills area.
  • It's open and it's brilliant! I rode it on Saturday in glorious sunshine. Climbing up to Cragg is an enjoyable ride on the newly laid track. Coming back from Cragg to Lee and descending down the new section is amazing! It twists and turns and has plenty of rock jumps, drops and rollers. Big grins! Here are some pics showing the link track:

76667_468200604163_514359163_5650671_2834024_n.jpg

148537_468199509163_514359163_5650642_2729347_n.jpg

76468_468199609163_514359163_5650645_1583363_n.jpg
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    Where does the link start,i was up at lee quarry on saturday,was good fun in light snow.
  • piker wrote:
    Muttly1981 wrote:
    I really fancy giving Lee and Cragg a try but son't know where the best place to park etc my mate only lives in Heywood and never even knew of it's existence untill i told him a few weeks ago. Any help with parking and tips would be much appreciated.

Just off the A681,you can park at the back off the kingfisher centre.I think the postcode is OL13 0BB.
    As for tips,take spare tubes.
    You will not be dissapointed its like a big mountain bike skills area.

Cheers i'll head up the first chance i get but it'll have to warm up a little first :oops:
    What if your dreams and fears existed in the same place? What if to get to heaven, you had to brave hell? What if everything you've ever wanted cost you everything you've ever achieved? Would you still go there?
  • I'm hoping to visit Lee/Cragg Quarry in April. Could someone please help me with the following...

1. Which of the two quarries do you get to from the Kingfisher Centre & is the trail easy to navigate?
    2. Can you make a day of riding at the two quarries?
    3. Are there any trail centres facilities as part of the quarry development or is there somewhere near this Kingfisher Centre to get food and drinks?

Thanks.
  • If you park at Kingfishers you'll ride up the hill into Lee Quarry. Dead easy to navigate, just follow the red and/or black waymarker arrows. Ride around all the way to the back of the quarry and you will see a trail going off to the left onto the moors. Take this and you follow the link route over to Cragg.

You can easily spend a day. Maybe do a couple of laps of Cragg then head back to Lee for some of the fantastic berm lines, skills areas and pump track.

No trail facilities but there is a Co-op and big tesco in waterfoot down the road and a couple of pubs in the very near vicinity.

HAVE FUN!!
  • Yukon Boy wrote:
    If you park at Kingfishers you'll ride up the hill into Lee Quarry. Dead easy to navigate, just follow the red and/or black waymarker arrows. Ride around all the way to the back of the quarry and you will see a trail going off to the left onto the moors. Take this and you follow the link route over to Cragg.

You can easily spend a day. Maybe do a couple of laps of Cragg then head back to Lee for some of the fantastic berm lines, skills areas and pump track.

No trail facilities but there is a Co-op and big tesco in waterfoot down the road and a couple of pubs in the very near vicinity.

HAVE FUN!!

On that note there is a sign on the way back down to the car park advertising a bike friendly pub, turn left back onto the main road and it's around 1/4 mile i think it's called the Rose n Bowl