Get shoved off the side of a hill in a big inflatable ball?

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
For my birthday a few months ago my darling wife bought me one of those red letter day things where you get shoved off the side of a mountain in one of these things;

Sphere.jpg

(She may well be trying to tell me something) :D

Not cashed it in yet, has anyone done this before? Or anything similarly insane?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Nifer
    Nifer Posts: 102
    Hmmm... zorbing. It doesn't really appeal, but I can't see what could possibly go wrong. I might be a little afraid of vomiting then being stuck inside some kind of vomit washing machine. A bit like me being scared of going in portaloos, in case someone pushes it over while I'm inside.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    Wet or dry? My colleague went for the wet option - chucked in with a bucket of water so you slide round and round, as opposed to being strapped in - and thoroughly recommends it.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Loads of fun. The wife and I had a go at this on our honeymoon and we both loved it. It might have been better if they'd warned us that one or 2 of the velcro straps holding legs and arms in place might come undone but it's OK because the waist harness is doing all the work.

Would do it again at the drop of a hat.
  • Did it in New Zealand on my gap yah. Brilliant fun.
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    SimonAH wrote:
    Or anything similarly insane?

Depends on your definition of insane...Some of my colleagues take the tube every day to get to work and they think I'm insane to cycle through London.

Do something enough and it soon becomes the norm. I've sat out of helicopters photographing 150mph poweboats, and driven boats doing 90mph. I also stand on the back of very expensive boats while photographing other very expensive boats just a few feet away, a lot of people think I'm mad, but it's all perfectly safe....I've only been hit once :shock:

Go for it, just take a puncture repair kit just in case ;)
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    Maybe have a watch of this film and pick a similar hill...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mI7vz9Bd ... re=related
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    I've done the 'dry' version - brilliant fun.

You do get a bit shaken up if it 'bounces' (which ours did), but still a huge laugh.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    snooks wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Depends on your definition of insane...Some of my colleagues take the tube every day to get to work and they think I'm insane to cycle through London.

Do something enough and it soon becomes the norm. I've sat out of helicopters photographing 150mph poweboats, and driven boats doing 90mph. I also stand on the back of very expensive boats while photographing other very expensive boats just a few feet away, a lot of people think I'm mad, but it's all perfectly safe....I've only been hit once :shock:

Go for it, just take a puncture repair kit just in case ;)

I have done similar stuff shooting a rally in scotland, was standing in a safe place but still got the off stone/rock/boulder flung my way randomly, I seem to have a built in avoidance system.

Love your street photography btw.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    oooooooh sooooo much fun, went Zorbing with some of the kids from my scout group back in the summer had a great time, the adults had more fun than the kids.

Go for it, you'll have a laugh.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66gOWQ6Q0Sg

My favourite use of a "Zorb" :D

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    There are several classes of chemical that are more fun and last longer...
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • SimonAH wrote:

I go caving.... ALL my friends think I'm insane... :(

IMGP0087.jpg

Though you do see the odd funny things...

IMGP0092.jpg

:D
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    yip..zorbing is a total hoot.

A mate took me for my birthday a couple of years ago..

the strapped in dry version...

it was absolutely hilarious!

have fun!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • I did the cheese roll thing once. It would have been safer in a zorb.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    Paul E wrote:
    I have done similar stuff shooting a rally in scotland, was standing in a safe place but still got the off stone/rock/boulder flung my way randomly, I seem to have a built in avoidance system.

Love your street photography btw.

Thanks :D I've been shooting boats for 10 years and this year was the first serious incident, it could have easily been fatal. It's only when you think you're dead that you really realise how much life means. So if you can scare yourself itless in a safe way, you might get a taste of life.
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • I've accidentally walked off the same cliff in the Lake District on two separate occasions - in the dark.

The first time, I landed in the top of a well placed tree; the second time I landed on my knees on the gravel path below the tree. This last occasion being after sampling ten pints of Theakston's Old Peculiar - never felt a thing...
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Yeah I had a go at this, didn't think it was that great, just got very dizzy and disoriented.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Did it on a stag do once.

Top tip. Don't get really really pissed the night before nad turn up with a stinking hangover.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66gOWQ6Q0Sg

My favourite use of a "Zorb" :D

PP

Surely he should have gone crowd surfing - a missed opportunity.

He looks like he's practised moving around in that thing quite a bit.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I had a go at the "washing machine" (i.e. the wet one) a few years back and thought it was great fun. I haven't done it since, though, as it's not really great value for money; £40 odd for a few seconds rolling down a hill!!
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I will stick to hurling myself down a track on my mountain bike for thrills, at least that way I am partly in control, sort of, well when my wheels are on the ground, some of the time.