Rear chainstay mounted disc brake freezing

Sleeptech
Sleeptech Posts: 43
edited November 2010 in The workshop
I ask as I have my rear disc brake mounted on the chainstay and had this problem last year. To try & prevent it happening again I swapped out the BB5 for a BB7 which as well as being so much easier to set the pads on has a rubber widget at the end of the cable housing which I hoped would stop any water ingress.

It doesn't & I don't think I can handle another winter of having to stop & warm the cable housing (with my hands before you ask..) everytime I lose my rear brake.

So has anyone else encountered this & more importantly found a solution? was thinking something along the lines of a thick blob of grease but then this may introduce trapped grit etc to the cable run...

Comments

• hydraulics or piss on them...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    replace the cable inner and outer and lube it.

hydros an option?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I completely recabled it when adding the bb7's but didn't lube as I bought some teflon coated ones (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/transfil-black-snake-brake-cable-set/) which I thought might help. What sort of lube do you think might help? gt85/finish line xtc?

Can't really justify going hydro atm - & peeing... *in this weather*?!

(Continues grumbling at rack friendly disc setup)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I wonder if the 'flatter' mounting on the chainstay is the problem, nice downhill run for me to a seatstay mounted has no issues.

What cable outer ends are you using. some of the snazzy ones come with an integrated soft rubber weather seal may do it? I have some on my MTB, not sure were they came from though!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I definitely think it's due to the mounting on the chainstay as the water can run straight down into the cable. I used the standard metal cable end so will definitely check out some of the posher ones. Hopefully that with the bb7 rubber boot will do the trick. Cheers.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just recalled where I saw the cable outer ends with an integrated soft rubber seal, it was on my daughter's friends bike we fixed up, I think they were labelled Shimano XTR (it has almost completely XTR brake bits from levers to V-s).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a look at some Sram night crawlers

http://www.pro4sport.co.uk/outdoor/shopexd.asp?id=21549

GP525.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown