Combustion engine powered MTB...WTF?

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Pootling along on the way home last night, I was aware of the incessant drone of an underpowered scooter approaching from behind. I pay scant attention to it. It was only after it passed me and pulling away when I realised it was a MTB with an engine! The rider was just sat on it as it were a moped without having to do any work. Curiosity aroused, I jumped on the pedals and gave chase. I caught up and tailed it along Streatham Hill trying to get a better look at it. It was indeed a mountain bike with an engine strapped between the downtube and the seat-tube. Probably the ones you get on petrol driven scooters (not the moped type scooter but the ones that look like a skateboard). Each time the rider stopped it would cut-out, and the action of pedalling appears to start it up again. It had pretty decent pick-up and probably a top speed of ~25mph. Didn't get a chance to scalp it as he went straight on towards Mitcham as I carried on down the A23.

Anyone else come across it?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    You too could be the proud owner of one for the knock down price of "a few good phones"...
    http://birmingham.gumtree.com/birmingham/99/68584699.html
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • I was following him up Brixton Hill and managed to scalp him half way up it, on the flat before it was ticking along at 25 mph but on the hill it really started to drop its speed down to about 15-17mph.

It was bloody hard work though for me as he just sat there not even turning his pedals the lazy bastard! ;)
  • nicklouse wrote:

It fills me with confidence that they can't spell pedalling.
  • So many unnecessary capital letters on that site.

Also, I really don't think I'd trust the brakes on those bikes in the pictures, they look pretty shoddy. And is there any sort of chain guard? And imagine having to listen to that scooter/lawnmower noise the entire way home?
    FCN - 10
    Cannondale Bad Boy Solo with baggies.
  • nicklouse wrote:

It fills me with confidence that they can't spell pedalling.

What filled me with confidence was the contrast between the , "Not the cheap Chinese ones off eBay which will let you down" and the remarkably long warranty period of...

...90 days.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    “I will be the first to admit—I am no “Gear Head”…but with a full course load and an apartment 6 miles off campus, I didn’t just want—I NEEDED to motorize my bicycle! I would get home from classes so tired after having to pedal up hill after hill—I didn’t have an ounce of energy left for my studies! Even though I can barely fit a light bulb properly—the ongoing help and guidance from your team helped me transform my bicycle into my own personal savior! I installed the 48cc engine kit with your help and now I actually get home with enough energy to study!”

Hills? Cambridge?

Did they build some since I left?
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    For £200, it's almost worth it just for the amusement/toy value, though.

There's this too, hidden away at the bottom -
    UK Customers: will now have to register the vehicle as a moped if to be used on british roads, this involves reg, tax and insurance and a vehicle saftey check by VOSA. We make no claims as to wether these kits will pass such tests, it depends on the quality of the work of the installer and upon satisfying all the criteria set out by VOSA before one can register the finalized vehicle. Please bear this in mind before making a purchase.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    So you need a bike, their kit, the skills and tools to install it yourself, to register it, tax it, insure it and to get it safety checked.
    They don't claim it will pass the safety check (in other words, it probably won't).

You have to buy fuel for it, listen to the awful drone it probably makes, accept that it is so underpowered that you'll be struggling to stay upright on hills and be prepared for mechanical failures.

Where is that URL again. I've got to get one!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Aidy wrote:
    wether

Argh, a pet peeve spelling mistake. What have castrated rams got to do with this?
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • beegee
    beegee Posts: 160
    Wouldn't it be a teeny bit hot between the legs ?
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    beegee wrote:
    Wouldn't it be a teeny bit hot between the legs ?

Only whilst it works...

Which I doubt would be very long.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Surely that makes it a moped ?
  • pst88 wrote:
    You too could be the proud owner of one for the knock down price of "a few good phones"...
    http://birmingham.gumtree.com/birmingham/99/68584699.html

Fuck me that looks like a deathtrap.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    nicklouse wrote:

It's intriguing that they said it's so simple Britney Spears could install it. As anyone of a certain age will know Britney is in fact an expert in semi-conductor physics so it's probably quite tricky....

http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm
  • Hahaha, nostalgia attack!!

When i was young (11 - 13 yrs old) myself and a few others had old bmx bikes that we fitted engines to, mostly from sthil saws/strimmers and hooked up to the rear cog and a trigger on the handle bars..

As stated "death trap" yup, dunno about it being road legal? :? fun = :lol: but they dont last long but most of that was down to a 12yr olds welding skills and engine mounts.
  • that thing is absolutely awesome! i like the clutch lever with lock out pin...... where would you install that? :shock:

also, love the 'english' feedback..... you guys saved my life! ... my license was suspended!.... do all bristol folk talk like that? :D

and in the uk you need to register and tax it...... just buy a moped! :roll: