Damn you wind!!!!

wizzlebanger
wizzlebanger Posts: 177
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
On the main flat stretch to work I'm normally pumping out 20mph. Sometimes a little higher...sometimes a little lower.

Today.....blowing a hooligan in my face......12mph!!!!!!!

It better be blowing in the same direction on the way home.

However, 2 positives this morning......

My new buff kept my head, face and neck toasty warm.

And instead of buying a hump to cover my back pack I've discovered that my free hi vis workmans vest from B&Q will go over me and my back pack turning me into a giant hi vis cycling turtle. Result.
FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
Baggies +1
SPD's -1
Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    +1- missed train this morning despite wringing myself out trying to maintain a decent speed over the ground...

I thought Westerlies were forecast for today... presumably I wasn't paying attention and the westerlies will be here by himetime tonight :-(

Cheers,
    W.
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    This morning wasn't too bad, but last Thursday Evening under 10 mph when many times above 20, and that bad I even used a shared cycle path :(
    better when I got in country lanes with all the hedges etc protecting me.
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    I had the same problem with the wind this morning. It didn't help that that I was running late for work and so as well as being in a hurry, I never had time to put my winter stuff on before I left.

And to add insult to injury, I nearly got taken out by a learner driver who wasn't looking whilst pulling out of a junction.
  • On the main flat stretch to work I'm normally pumping out 20mph. Sometimes a little higher...sometimes a little lower.

And instead of buying a hump to cover my back pack I've discovered that my free hi vis workmans vest from B&Q will go over me and my back pack turning me into a giant hi vis cycling turtle. Result.

Well think of it as good training going into the wind. Plus good on you for rockin the teenage mutant ninja turtle look.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi again,
    Still easterly tonight. Personal best on ride home....

Cheers,
    W.
  • Well I had a double visit from the puncture fairy overnight which was a great start to the day :( Once I finally set off to work it did seem a bit blustery. Blasted it home and convinced myself that I had borrowed Fabian Cancellara's legs - maybe you guys are onto something with that tailwnd thing :wink:
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    On the main flat stretch to work I'm normally pumping out 20mph. Sometimes a little higher...sometimes a little lower.

Well think of it as good training going into the wind. Plus good on you for rockin the teenage mutant ninja turtle look.
    That works for me too... I just can't bring myself to look like that!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Well thankfully the wind stayed with me for the way home and although I didn't particularly time it it felt mighty fast!!!!!

Teenage mutant ninja turtle look was completed by wearing my neck buff as a full balaclava so it looked like I could pop my head in and out of my shell at any point.

Although ridiculous I feel the more mental I look the less likely I'll be shouted at or abused by non cyclists.
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Seriously hard, hard work last night - journey home is in a generally SE direction - matched the wind therefore. Creeping, crawling up the last few hills, single-digit speeds for sure. Some nice sleet to add to the fun too !
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Not just us cyclists that get affected by the wind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPeVU2bUMGc&feature=aso

Around 7 seconds :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • And instead of buying a hump to cover my back pack I've discovered that my free hi vis workmans vest from B&Q will go over me and my back pack turning me into a giant hi vis cycling turtle. Result.

I was too tight to spend £20 on a Hump so I got my mum to make me one from a hi-vis vest. Cut up and sewn back together. Buttons on the backpack and buttonholes in the cover to make it removable.