Washington to Sunderland on C2C track whats going on?

daveyroids
daveyroids Posts: 223
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
Been cycling to work in Newcastle recently but will be swapping back to Sunderland shortly.

The C2C track looks as if it is blocked due to some sort of road/verge works on the A19, A1231. Is there a alternitive route provided or have we just been stopped from using the track?

Comments

• deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    edited November 2010
    I know exactly where you mean as I use that route a lot in the summer, at the moment on my commute home i leave the c2c route just before where your on about, travelling from sunderland (i leave it by going up onto the a19 bridge).
    Ive not seen any signs to say its closed & ive seen riders coming from that way on (wash to sun) so i assume its open.

where do you commute from - to just out of interest?
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    I was a few days ago - on Friday I think. I saw the road/something works but there IS a way around it.

The C2C path is mostly uninterrupted - sure you go through a new patch for a few 100 meters, but you should be back on it before going under the bridge.
  • deffler
    yeah i spoke to a cyclist this morning who had just come that way & he said there was a diversion across the field that comes out just beside the farmhouse, apparently its been dolomited
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Where abouts do you cycle from/to?

I go from washington village to doxford park and find it's easier crossing the river at Cox Green, going up the bank and turning left onto a bridal path at the stables... this is a straight path that goes through the golf course and will take you right along to the A19 bit of C2C just past the bit that you mentioned is blocked off... I find its quicker than the C2C which is winding... also, after coming up the bank from Cox Green bridge to the stables the bridal path is pretty flat all the way along... nice views as well.

When I cycle in to Doxford Park I go about half way along the bridal path then cut up past offerton farm and down through the Herrington Country Park... very nice ride and pretty much traffic free.
  • deffler
    My commute is from Fencehouses to Hylton Riverside park (Wessington Way). Just under 10m each way.

Theres loads of different ways I can go/return & got a good choice of road/offroad routes.

My current route is along the rd from Shiney Row past the Monument, turn left through Offerton then down the bridleway (runs down the side of the a19), past the dog kennels, under the a19 to south hylton then up onto the bridge over the river, then down the steps joining the C2C route all the way to work.
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Valy
    What bike you got deffler?
  • well dave, i think we will have to investigate!
  • I think we will have to investigate Terry.

I will be travelling from Barmston village to Newcastle Road near Thompson Park and Monkwearmouth Hospital. With this destination in mind the track which runs alongside the A1231 is the most direct and convenient for me. I passed in the car this morning and I think I spotted where the diversion is.

Anybody know what works are being carried out down there? There is alot of earth moving going on.
  • Thanks for the replies and say hello if you pass me. I'm the only person with a Carrera Subway with trekking bars, blue panniers and a road chainset. Can't be missed!
  • BTW, Terry (stealthelite1986) hows the album progressing?
  • no more progress as yet but i will see you tonight anyway so will have a peek at it then!
  • deffler
    daveyroids wrote:
    I think we will have to investigate Terry.

I will be travelling from Barmston village to Newcastle Road near Thompson Park and Monkwearmouth Hospital. With this destination in mind the track which runs alongside the A1231 is the most direct and convenient for me. I passed in the car this morning and I think I spotted where the diversion is.

Anybody know what works are being carried out down there? There is alot of earth moving going on.

As far as I can make out they are making a slip road/another lane of the a19 towards Washington, probs to relieve the tailback that happens every morning
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • deffler
    Valy wrote:

Lime green Genesis Core 20 mate, cant miss it 8)

If anyone see's me give me a holler or a wave, probs wont hear you tho, iPod be blasting. Saying that, I see very few cyclists on my route.
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • deffler wrote:
    Valy wrote:

Lime green Genesis Core 20 mate, cant miss it 8)

If anyone see's me give me a holler or a wave, probs wont hear you tho, iPod be blasting. Saying that, I see very few cyclists on my route.

I'll keep the sunglasses on! may see you about mate!

Dave, on our investigation we may need to prepare for the inevitable, say 3 suspensions is about adequant?
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    daveyroids wrote:
    As far as I can make out they are making a slip road/another lane of the A19 towards Washington, probs to relieve the tailback that happens every morning
    Yep, adding a lane to the slip road for completion in March 2011.
  • 3 suspensions may be ok.

i thought it was something major with all of that earth being moved around.
  • deffler
    Im off work this week, anybody been commuting in the snow?
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Valy
    deffler wrote:
    Im off work this week, anybody been commuting in the snow?

Why don't you just go out for a ride? :P

[mudguards and overshoes are recommended]