Vittoria Rubino Pros and grip

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
on the way home my rear wheel really slipped out going round a roundabout, I managed to hold on easily enough but it felt pretty slippy after that.

I'd heard from another chap a while back that they didn't have much grip...

Anyone got any experience of this or am I being paranoid?
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I love vittoria tyres and used rubino's for around 8 months in all weather conditions, never had a wheel slip on them.

It was damp today in london, so where you taking the roundabout aggressively? did you go over wet leaves/drain cover/paint?

Nearly every tyre will have an issue in those situations if you are aggressive with it.

IMO it's part and parcel of being a cyclist, you have to be aware of the dangerous and take action to avoid putting your self in a position where you will drop the bike.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    You often get oil/diesel spills on roundabouts - could that have been it? I'm with gaz on this one - don't be too quick to blame the tyres.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    My issue with Rub pros were that i was picking up punctures every couple of weeks. Grip was always great.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Mine grip great in wet and dry. Haven't had a puncture with them yet. Mind you I look where I am going :wink: . Vittoria tyres are the best of the bunch IMHO.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Problem is you managed to buy Runbino's, which are a cheap Chinese knock-off of Rubino's. Bad luck.
  • Sounds very much like some diesel on the road. It seems to stick to your tyres for ages as well. My Rubino pros are the best tyres I've tried so far.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    I've used them since I read a comprehensive review of tyres in a French cycling mag - they were best buy in their class and came pretty much top both for rolling resistance and for the angle at which you could lean them before losing grip.
  • Clever Pun
    I wasn't hammering round as the road is all grooved (when heavy traffic as shaped the tarmac) and there was lots of traffic so the racing line wasn't available

The tyres were fine this morning, the road last night had a wet very cold film on it so that could have been it or a diesel spot seems likely too in hindsight

cheers guys
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Clever Pun wrote:
    on the way home my rear wheel really slipped out going round a roundabout, I managed to hold on easily enough but it felt pretty slippy after that.
    Personally I'd put it down to power-on oversteer, and bask in my awesomeness.
  • Clever Pun
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Personally I'd put it down to your power-on oversteer, and I'll bask in your awesomeness.

yeah I can go with that
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5