Partial to little cap wearing?

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Well if you are then the time will come when no matter how often you wash it your favourite little cap will begin to smell like your old commuting shoes :?

Previously you could have chosen to ignore it or buy a new cap, now there's a third option...

When you get in the shower after your ride, use head & shoulders on yourself and the cap, lots of it, whatever is in that stuff it seems to have banished that funky smell that comes right back after a normal machine wash.

Yey favourite little cap is rescued for a few more months.
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yep, been H&Sing my caps and gloves for a while. Works a treat
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    I did that too but the leave-in conditioner just made the flies stick.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    cambs wrote:
    I did that too but the leave-in conditioner just made the flies stick.

Conditioner.......

J'accuse!
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    What happens if you don't have dandruff and can use a "normal" shampoo.....?! I.e. can I use the bottle of whatever I last picked up to clean my cap 'n gloves?

Any experimentation?
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Does this also work on your helmet?
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    My gloves ming big stylee - will this work on them?
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    IMG_6714_thumb%5B2%5D.jpg

:?:
    Hat + Beard
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Should we just get into the shower fully clothed and apply H&S?

Hmm. Good tip, ITB. Will try. My caps could knock a buzzard off a sh!t truck from a hundred yards.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    W1 wrote:
    Does this also work on your helmet?
    Sewinman wrote:
    My gloves ming big stylee - will this work on them?
    I soak gloves, caps and helmet pads in a H&S solution. Works a treat.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Washing machine?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Makes you wonder what they put in H&S? I find the washing machine works for me though.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    gtvlusso wrote:
    What happens if you don't have dandruff and can use a "normal" shampoo.....?! I.e. can I use the bottle of whatever I last picked up to clean my cap 'n gloves?

Any experimentation?

^this... anyone?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Any experimentation?

^this... anyone?

I tried normal shampoo a while back, didnt seem to work any more than a hot washing machine wash would, must be some H&S magic stuff.

Dunno but it works, I might even try it on the commuting shoes :shock:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jonginge
    itboffin wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

Any experimentation?

^this... anyone?

I tried normal shampoo a while back, didnt seem to work any more than a hot washing machine wash would, must be some H&S magic stuff.

Dunno but it works, I might even try it on the commuting shoes :shock:
    I can use a normal shampoo just fine :D
    I specifically bought some H&S to soak my gloves and helmet pads in: the H&S kills the fungus which causes the smell. Once I found it worked I started on caps too.

Mitts (or anything with velcro) don't go in the washing machine due to the bobbling risk :shock: :lol:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    For helmet straps and pads, using Lemon and Tea Tree Original Source shower gel is just the absolute dogs' - it really works well, they come up lovely, which is saying something 'cos my lid gets disgustingly dirty.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    itboffin wrote:
    When you get in the shower after your ride, use head & shoulders on yourself and the cap, lots of it, whatever is in that stuff it seems to have banished that funky smell that comes right back after a normal machine wash.

How did you discover this? I'm picturing ITB in the shower washing his hair (look it's a very out of focus picture OK!), getting out of the shower, using his hair dryer (I bet he's got one) and then discovering that he'd forgotten to take off his cap.
  • will3 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

How did you discover this? I'm picturing ITB in the shower washing his hair (look it's a very out of focus picture OK!), getting out of the shower, using his hair dryer (I bet he's got one) and then discovering that he'd forgotten to take off his cap.

pretty much guaranteed for drying his legs off
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I've been using cheap bar soap. I'll be giving the h&s a try though
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • itboffin
    No don't own a hair drier I prefer to keep the old dome cut short - more aero don't you know :wink:
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    So your saying I have to buy shampoo for the first time in 7 years just to clean my caps :?
  • itboffin
    andy83 wrote:
    So your saying I have to buy shampoo for the first time in 7 years just to clean my caps :?

I'm not sure what to say to that really, I just hope you're bald :P

Anyway a bottle of H&S is much cheaper than a new cap.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    lol yes im bald at the tender age of 27 :(

have had to shave since bout 19 but luckily havent got a funny shaped head so it doesnt look that bad

I did get phantom hair for about a year thinking i still had it lol, anyone who shaves their head will know what i mean, those buggers with hair will think im weird :lol:

Would feel kind of strange washing head with shampoo, expecially with a cap on but i might try it
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    My local Tesco was selling H&S ColourCare for 95p/500ml I got four, should last a year or so. Time to test this theory.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.