Deore v Tiagra

sophidog
sophidog Posts: 180
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
have been looking at the Colnago Freedom bike which last year had Deore components but on Evans site for 2011 has Tiagra. I posted them a question asking if this was effectively a downgrade and here is their reply:-
Shimano, as you know, make components which differ in quality. The Deore qualification is a particular quality standard set some way above entry levels groupsets. However, groupsets above Deore can also be said to be Deore components in that they have achieved Deore standard but are also of a higher quality.

The Tiagra group is of a standard considerably higher than standard Deore but can also be classed as Deore because it meets than standard, but in this case surpasses it.

The Tiagra set on this Colnago is excellent quality and represents real performance as befits a bike of this standard.

Am i right in thinking that the drivetrain has been down-specced?
Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not really. they are much of a muchness at that level.

I would say no change. in that the levels below Deore are worse than Tiagra.
    and the kit below Tiagra is worse than Deore.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    As Nick says, Tiagra and Deore are of a pretty similar level. Deore's MTB kit, Tiagra's for the road.
  • sophidog
    sophidog Posts: 180
    thanks for the replies, just have to remind the missus that my birthday's coming up in 3 months! Plenty of time to develop the strategy............
    Road: Rose CDX-3000 Cannondale CAADX 105 2011
    Turbo: Fuji Nevada Mountain Bike(Y2K)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As has been said much of a muchness in terms of 'quality' but as Tiagra is road biased it is (from the couple of components I've checked) a little lighter, so as long as you don't need the extra 'robustness' of MTB kit I'd probably consider it a slight upgrade, and it looks 'prettier' as well!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Don't know too much about Deore, but the latest Tiagra stuff ie excellent imho. I have over 800 all weather miles on my grouppo with not a single problem. The gear change is still as slick as the day I rode it out of the shop.
    The initial set up was spot on as I haven't had to fettle a single thing. I just clean it every other week and give it some lube.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    whyamihere wrote:
    As Nick says, Tiagra and Deore are of a pretty similar level. Deore's MTB kit, Tiagra's for the road.

^This. I've got Deore on my hybrid. It also has a more "roadie" cassette. The result is that theres a bit more of a gap between the cassette and the derailleur at lower gears than there would be if it was Tiagra. No perceptible difference to the ride though AFAICS
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    God. Is it just me or is that response from Evans is the biggest incomprehensible pile of marketing gobbledigook you have ever seen?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • tx14
    tx14 Posts: 244
    God. Is it just me or is that response from Evans is the biggest incomprehensible pile of marketing gobbledigook you have ever seen?

not just you.
  • The Rookie
    Its a great big steaming pile of poo, yes!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    ATB deore hub with Tiagra cassette; much nicer than what it replaced.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    MTB stuff used to be simple

Deore
    Deore LX
    Deore XT
    Deore XTR

Chuck in a few lower levels and then stuff for heavier usage (downhill,. freeride) to confuse it a bit too but still essentially the above.

Road is still
    Sora
    Tiagra
    Ultegra
    Dura-ace

Puts Tiagra and Deore about the same level, and they can get away with poorer quality on Road (Sora)
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • The Rookie
    nwallace wrote:

Deore
    Deore LX
    Deore XT
    Deore XTR

Chuck in a few lower levels and then stuff for heavier usage (downhill,. freeride) to confuse it a bit too but still essentially the above.
    Not forgetting STX and DX of course......

STX is between Deore and LX, never have figured where DX went!

Simon
  • whyamihere
    nwallace wrote:

Deore
    Deore LX
    Deore XT
    Deore XTR

Not forgetting STX and DX of course......

STX is between Deore and LX, never have figured where DX went!

Simon
    STX hasn't really existed for years. The closest comparison that's still current is Alivio.

DX was the BMX parts.
  • The Rookie
    My daughters commuter has STX parts from a 2006 Giant, OK 4 years is 'years', but it's not that long ago. Some STX parts are still available new if you look (http://tribesportsshopping.co.uk/products?q=stx), price wise between Deore and LX.

Simon
  • whyamihere
    My daughters commuter has STX parts from a 2006 Giant, OK 4 years is 'years', but it's not that long ago. Some STX parts are still available new if you look (http://tribesportsshopping.co.uk/products?q=stx), price wise between Deore and LX.

Simon
    Well I've clearly not been keeping up with Shimano kit as well as I thought I was...

STX appears to be the small range of decent 8 speed stuff, to appease retro grouches.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    STX was a 1996 year release and STX rc was the lowest lever seamed suitable for racing and compared with Deore a few years later. they do still appear on bikes as the bike companies use up old stock.

and yes you can still buy some "new" from shimano as they still have some stock.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The STX kit (not sure if its rc or not without getting cold) is certainly quite nicely made, the Giant was a tourer/commuter hybrid and had a full STX groupset including some nice combined brake (canti pull) /shift levers.

Simon