Route - Twickenham to Fetter Lane

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Google is giving me this:

Edit:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?vps=3& ... 8012b7360a

I suspect it is a nasty route. However, going via Embankment and Kings Road, Putney Bridge adds another 3 miles.

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    edited November 2010
    Sewinman wrote:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=
    102890417178770543416.0004952e18f8012b7360a

I suspect it is a nasty route. However, going via Embankment and Kings Road, Putney Bridge adds another 3 miles.

I just get a thing showing me where Twickenham is...

I'd go past Syon Park, or over Kew Bridge, up to chiswick high road, through Hammersmith, along HIgh Street Ken, through the park, then either north and High Holborn or south.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Sewinman wrote:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=t ... CB0Q8gEwAA

Can't see a route on that link, but I presume that takes you along the A4. I wouldn't want to ride that, and you'd have to duck down past Hammersmith as bikes aren't suitable for the flyover, which would be a pain. I think there's a shared footpath for some of the A4, but that will be very slow. I'd do the extra 3 miles personally.
  • Sewinman
    Fixed it.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sewinman wrote:
    However, going via Embankment and Kings Road, Putney Bridge adds another 3 miles.

Go that way. It's flat, so it's a fairly effortless three miles.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Sewinman wrote:
    Fixed it.

as I thought, takes you along the A4, which I wouldn't personally want to do.

Either take LiT's route (although I find Ken High St very stop-start) or join the fun on the Embankment....
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I'd do the extra miles than that.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Sewinman
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    Fixed it.

Either take LiT's route (although I find Ken High St very stop-start) or join the fun on the Embankment....

Thanks all. Glad I checked.
  • Sewinman wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    Fixed it.

Thanks all. Glad I checked.

Trouble is, the embankment's quite a detour. You could go HSK - Park - HPC - Constitution Hill, Mall, Traf Sq, Northumberland Ave, Embankment then go north again for Fetter Lane, but I think high holborn's shorter.

I used to have a brilliant route through covent garden's 1-way streets to get there avoiding the strand, but it's a bit convoluted.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    cjcp wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    However, going via Embankment and Kings Road, Putney Bridge adds another 3 miles.

Go that way. It's flat, so it's a fairly effortless three miles.
    Wot he said. I don't believe it's 3 miles longer anyway