What would you pay for a 1 year old bike?

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
So Cycle to Work has come around again in my company. I didn't intend to apply this year but a colleague mentioned in passing that he might be interested in buying my current bike off me for the right price. I'm thinking with the cycle to work saving and money I get from my old bike, I could be riding around in a brand new bike for pennies (well, a few hundred quid).

Given there is no right price for a second-hand bike, I thought I'd try and get an average price based on your feedback. I realise there're a lot of variables like type, brand, components, condition, etc, but a rough estimate would still be helpful.

This is what I have: Specialized Tricross 2010 used for a regular commute but in pretty good condition.

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,355
    Do an Ebay search on COMPLETED listings
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Depends on the bike, but generally around than 50% or below.

I bought my 1yo Ribble for £450 (build price £900) and I bought my 1yo Cervelo S1 for £700 (build price of about £2000).

Hoping the Cervelo doesn't drop too much more since they have stopped making if for 2011...
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • HMRC say 25% of RRP regardless of what it is!! And they are the govt so they MUST be right :roll:

:lol:
    FCN 7

FCN 4

if you use irrational measures to measure me, expect me to behave irrationally to measure up
  • kelsen
    chunkytfg wrote:
    HMRC say 25% of RRP regardless of what it is!! And they are the govt so they MUST be right :roll:

:lol:

Good point! :lol:
  • magoo289
    magoo289 Posts: 223
    Depends but not more than 50%.

Although see this article from the Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/no ... ax-benefit

I'll not be happy if my employer is looking for 25% after signing a contract for 5%!
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634

+1 - second hand prices can vary greatly depending on demand for particular brands/models/colours, checking ebays completed listings for your particular model will give you the best idea of what it's worth!
    J
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    I bought mine brand new a month ago for £670 if that helps at all.
    Hat + Beard
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    mcj78 wrote:

+1 - second hand prices can vary greatly depending on demand for particular brands/models/colours, checking ebays completed listings for your particular model will give you the best idea of what it's worth!
    J

When I was looking into buying my Tricross I saw identical bikes go for about £200 difference in price due to location and an unwillingness to ship...

If he's a mate then sort him out with a deal, if not then hike the price up :P
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Mr Plum
    hatbeard wrote:

Sport?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    magoo289 wrote:
    Depends but not more than 50%.

Although see this article from the Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/no ... ax-benefit

I'll not be happy if my employer is looking for 25% after signing a contract for 5%!

if you signed a contract for 5%- then be very worried because it is not a valid C2W scheme and NOT therefore eligible for the tax saving andd the tax man can come after you for all the tax saved.

Be careful what you are saying
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • hatbeard
    edited November 2010
    Mr Plum wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

Sport?

yep.

edit: I price matched it off the web at Evans (who do our C2W scheme)

this isn't where I pricematched but it's a good example that there's some pretty good savings on them if you hunt around as they're end of season stock clearance now
    Hat + Beard
  • kelsen
    hatbeard wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:
    hatbeard wrote:

Sport?

yep.

Good price! The version I've got with the lower spec 2300 groupset cost £700 a year ago.
  • Mr Plum
    Yeah I got my Sport for £680 just over a month ago. The link in the OP is to a standard Tripple though so I was a tad confused... great prices on 2010 Specialized bikes at the moment.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • hatbeard
    Mr Plum wrote:
    The link in the OP is to a standard Tripple though

whoops missed that, will teach me to speed read threads I guess :oops:
    Hat + Beard