Off on the ice

Initialised
Initialised Posts: 3,047
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
First proper corner this morning. Nowt major, shoulder started hurting now though.

Anyone else have frosted tarmac for breakfast?
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Comments

• Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Had a couple of hairy moments including a front and rear slide. Only a split second but enough time to swear.
  • yep. Off yesterday morning. Slid about a bit today and just walked aome of the way. No reduction in the speed of motorists though eh?
  • rhann
    rhann Posts: 383
    no reduction in speed for me either, one of fastest commutes in weeks
  • Not for me but cheated and used the XC race bike for a super fast burn to work and had the best fun in ages!
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • BDFun
    BDFun Posts: 67
    What sort of roads are you cycling on that has ice?

I cycle along a busy A-road so I'm hoping that it gets warmed up enough by cars that it isn't icy. I do try to take it easy on corners and stay further away from the edge of the road though.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    It's not icy down here yet :D but I had one last year, and a few squirmy moments.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Twostage wrote:
    Had a couple of hairy moments including a front and rear slide. Only a split second but enough time to swear.

Yup, I had time to swear twice this morning! Icey leaves n the cycle lane!!
    2010 Giant Defy 2 running SRAM Force and Shimano RS80/C24s with Continental 4 Seasons
    1999 Carrera Integer MTB
    2014 Planet X SLX
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    At what point is it worth getting studded tyres?
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    first ice-off of the year yesterday, fitted studded tyre on the front last night. rear studded tyre will go on if and when we get any snow.
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • Initialised
    BDFun wrote:
    Yeah, I wasn't expecting it either. Time to drop the pressure or get some proper knobblies.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Initialised
    MichaelW wrote:
    At what point is it worth getting studded tyres?
    Ice Spikers are tempting but probably overkill on a commute. Snow studs are only £20 each so I might get some of them.
  • BDFun
    BDFun Posts: 67
    BDFun wrote:
    Yeah, I wasn't expecting it either. Time to drop the pressure or get some proper knobblies.

It was an honest question :) Just curious to know if you are encountering the ice on busy roads or on the quieter ones.
  • Initialised
    BDFun wrote:
    BDFun wrote:

It was an honest question :) Just curious to know if you are encountering the ice on busy roads or on the quieter ones.
    My commute goes, residential-dual carriageway-riverside C2C track-urban-park-industrial estate. The off was literally 200 metres out of the house. Not a busy road, residential, by the local corner shop. I was turning left into it as a transit was turning right into the same street so I might have been too close to the kerb and had to indicate, forgot not to lean and my rear tyre is getting a bit slick.

Bruised hand, hip, knee, face and my shoulder is the bit that still hurts a bit and it looks like I've been fighting again. I think I lost half a pack of Lockets and some Strepsils at the time.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    I can understand the advantage of knobblies on snow but do they really help on ice? Surely you're just reducing the surface area? Just like how slicks are actually better in the wet than knobblies.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Almost anything other than spikes will be useless on sheet ice, but I have found my WTB Slickasuarus fairly reliable on the heavy frosts we get in the Midlands, they do slip and slide a little but in a predictable and gentle way, not gone off yet!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • BDFun wrote:

Now I think I understand this, I think you mean the sort of tyres on mountain bikes.

I had a tyre that is bumpy on the side and smoothish in the middle, on my Saracen, do ones that are bumpy all over make a difference, I fitted them yesterday ant think it is harder to cycle on the road.

What lower pressure, I have 55psi, what would you as a cyclist advise.

I ask because years ago before studded tyres and Sturmey Archer three speed, "like wot I ad son" we got on with it, I don't remember seeing people fall off much. A little like my old Mk2 and MK3 Cortins, no power steering (Mk 2) no ALB, no anything, we drove according to the conditions.

Is it because like cars bikes have evolved and we no longer ( well I do ) poodle about but reach speeds the Sturmey Archers never could.

Thank you.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Initialised
    I'm running Continental Double Fighter IIs @ 60PSI, next time it's icy I'll try dropping to 45 so the knob at the side get a chance to make contact. Unless I buy some Snow Studs or similar first.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    You can get pants for osteoporosis sufferers with hip-protector crash pads
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_protector
    Would a bike-shorts version of this be of interest?

Probably the worst type of damage that you can suffer from a fall is a broken hip.
  • Initialised
    Could be good, would prefer something less medical looking than that.

180px-AHIP_Protector.jpg
  • 180px-AHIP_Protector.jpg

Sexy :lol:
  • Initialised
    Saw the forecasts, ordered Snow Studs, probably overkill but overkill is under-rated.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    You need quite a bit of ice for the studs to penetrate and give you traction - if you're coming off on the slippy tarmac, I can think if little worse than metal for traction - drain covers anyone?

Studded tyres really only work on those really snowy days we had at the start of the year, when the snow's compacted, melted and re-frozen - man that was slippy!

For all other frosty parts - treat like wet white paint or wet drain covers - ride straight, keep your weight off the front wheel, and don't try and steer or pedal.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Initialised
    Shhh... I just wanted an excuse to splash out on some fancy treads.
  • Think I will stick to my two ton tank I have never enjoyed coming off on ice, tends to come a bit unexpectedly and hurts lots.

It wont stop me MTB ing though although I prefer snow to ice much nicer to land in/on

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • I wasn't commuting, and it wasn't ice, but I fell on Sunday morning, while out on my weekend ride.

On a roundabout, l reached the apex and leant right to turn right, bike went out from under me, and I slid down tghe road on my cheek and eybrow.

Made a mess of my prescription glasses, knee, hip, ribs, elbow - the usual.

Fortunaltely the bike seems OK, and I cycled home, before going to A&E to get patched up/stitches.

It was surprise, and not in a good way.

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • Watch out for the grit they put down as you sometimes don't see it
    Specialized Langster
    Specialized Enduro Expert
    Specialized Rockhopper

This season I will be mainly riding a Specialized
  • Lycra Man wrote:
    I wasn't commuting, and it wasn't ice, but I fell on Sunday morning, while out on my weekend ride.

On a roundabout, l reached the apex and leant right to turn right, bike went out from under me, and I slid down tghe road on my cheek and eybrow.

Fortunaltely the bike seems OK, and I cycled home, before going to A&E to get patched up/stitches.

Lycra Man

were you wearing a helmet, i ask because this concerns me, i thought they would offer more protection

• TommyEss
    Lycra Man wrote:
    I wasn't commuting, and it wasn't ice, but I fell on Sunday morning, while out on my weekend ride.

Lycra Man

were you wearing a helmet, i ask because this concerns me, i thought they would offer more protection

Exactly what kind of a helmet do you expect to cover your face, knee, hip, ribs and elbow, pray tell!?

@Lycra Man - had a similar thing a few years back, cut my chin open, rode home, then decided my wrist was sore. Quick trip to A&E showed a fractured triquetrium (very exotic!). Best guess was that there was some diesel mixed in with the drying rain on the roundabout - nasty combination. May as well have been ice.

Take it easy - hope you heal quickly.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • TommyEss wrote:
    Lycra Man wrote:

Exactly what kind of a helmet do you expect to cover your face, knee, hip, ribs and elbow, pray tell!? .

What a strange answer, I simply asked was a helmet worne, if so what type, as if they are no protection I would look at a better one myself from what I have, is that such a bad question as to reply in that tone.

• TommyEss
    TommyEss wrote:
    Lycra Man wrote:

Exactly what kind of a helmet do you expect to cover your face, knee, hip, ribs and elbow, pray tell!? .

What a strange answer, I simply asked was a helmet worne, if so what type, as if they are no protection I would look at a better one myself from what I have, is that such a bad question as to reply in that tone.

I think my point has gone way over your head - the OP suffered no injury to any part of his body covered by the helmet.

If you crash with a helmet on and hurt your hip, you don't then say "My hip's sore - must get a better helmet?!"