Cav to do TdU in 2011

Wheelspinner
Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
edited November 2010 in Pro race
Local news reporting that Cavendish will be headlining the team for the TdU.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/cycling-superstar-signs-up-for-tour-down-under-20101116-17uw7.html

Should be interesting if Greipel and Farrar both turn up in good form too. Trash talk time!!
Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS

Comments

• wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    Not that much of a showdown really. If cav is going well he will win. If not the others might have a chance. He is just too good.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    A nice little sharpener pre Milan-San Remo maybe. I doubt any of them will be turning up properly race fit though.
  • Mark Cavendish, Bernhard Eisel, Bert Grabsch, Matt Goss, Hayden Roulston, Mark Renshaw and Danny Pate.
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    S'going to be a long season for him if he wants to be in contention for the worlds too.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    That's what I thought as well.

Perhaps he's going to peak twice, with a little holiday in May.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Tusher wrote:
    That's what I thought as well.

Perhaps he's going to peak twice, with a little holiday in May.

Thrice surely?

M-SR, TdF, Worlds?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    We'll see. Sprinters have the habit of winning even when not on form. I wonder if he gets an appearance fee?
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Cav Goss and Renshaw?

Wouldn't be supraisd if they set it up for goss to win tbh
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Good news for the TDU to have so many star sprinters present, and nice to see talk about the racing rather than just LA's appearance fee!

It would be nice to see Cav riding to set up Goss or Renshaw for some wins while getting some miles in his legs, bet he could do a mean lead out! Or maybe he can win even if he's not 100%? Can't imagine he'll even be close to top form then though with the season he's planning next year with MSR, Green Jersey and the WC. The dental problems he had last year actually seemed to help him as he had a relatively quiet build and came into the tour just off 100% and seemed to ride himself into top form, and then he still had the legs late in the season to win green in the Vuelta.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • could be that this is why Cav is riding the TdU
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... under.html
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    lucybears wrote:
    could be that this is why Cav is riding the TdU
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... under.html

"A week of top three places would give Cavendish as many points as a victory in Milan-San Remo."

Kinda sums up how ridiculous the points sytem really is.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    looking forward to this. It's usually on Sky and first time I can actually watch the race this season.

He's probably just using it for training but if it adds some excitement to the race and helps his early season form it can only be a good thing