Winter Eyeweat

slog
slog Posts: 67
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Having had a couple of after dark/ before light rides recently in pissistantly heavy rain, I was wondering if anyone uses glasses/goggles to any degree of success?

Comments

• slog
    slog Posts: 67
    I meant eyewear :wink:
  • slog wrote:
    I meant eyewear :wink:

You could edit your title
  • 'Raining pissinstantly'' is a great expression. Pissinstantly may not be a real word but it's my favourite of the day :lol:

Personally, if there aren't load of insects around, I don't use glasses because I see well over distance and I've never come across glasses that help me see better than eyes do (unless it's eye-wateringly cold).
  • 'Raining pissistantly'' is a great expression. Pissistantly may not be a real word but it's my favourite of the day :lol:

Personally, if there aren't load of insects around, I don't use glasses because I see well over distance and I've never come across glasses that help me see better than eyes do (unless it's eye-wateringly cold).
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I wear glasses all the time when riding, hate getting stuff in my eyes. Helmet pulled down keeps most of the rain off when commuting.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I got some Bolle Silium glasses (safety goggles) incase it's really pissinstantly, not had to use them yet
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I've never found any eyewear that was worth a toss in the rain. I prefer to use a cap with a visor. Not perfect but the best solution so far.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I use Bolle Viper safety glasses. Clear lenses at night/overcast, smoked in sunshine.
    Dirt cheap, frameless (so nothing to obstruct your field of vision) and adjustable arms.

I wear a helmet with a visor so that keeps most of the pissistant rain off my lens.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    lid + cap + jawbones with persimmon lenses (filters blue light to boost contrast and increase depth perception)

works a treat for me

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • Safety specs for me too. Only problems are they steam up when I stop, and if its foggy, the outside mists up too.
    In really bad conditions, I find it better to go without.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I always wear glasses even in the wet - cars do sometimes flick up stones. If you get radars they have a hydrophobic coating.
  • Has anyone tried Rain-x on their glasses?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    I do wear Adidas (Asics? not sure) glasses for cycling/X-country skying to protect eyes from dust and (cold) air.
    Got so used to them I feel better always wearing them, no matter what weather.
  • Has anyone tried Rain-x on their glasses?

From the Rain-x FAQ:

Can it be used on transparent plastics?

Generally no. The increasing variety of various coatings applied to plastics makes it impossible to pre-test for compatibility under all conditions, and users should satisfy themselves by treating an area outside the normal area of vision. Please note that constant, repetitive use should be avoided due to the possible formation of stress cracking, especially on clear, curved sections.

Possibly maybe.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Has anyone tried Rain-x on their glasses?

I don;t use rain-x for water repellancy, but I do use their anti-fogging wipes and they work a treat (although I keep forgetting to do it).
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    +1 on the Bolle Vipers. only a fiver on ebay.
  • slog wrote:
    Having had a couple of after dark/ before light rides recently in pissistantly heavy rain, I was wondering if anyone uses glasses/goggles to any degree of success?
    You should always wear glasses when cycling.
    Carry a cycling cap.
    Put it on when it rains.
    Pull it down just enough to stop the rain.
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Another vote for some form of Oakleys with the persimmon lenses. Work very well in the twilight we get in london post 18:30.

Also not too prone to fogging up unlike my old DHB glasses
  • Clear, vented Oakley M-Frames are the seasons eyeware for me at the moment! :)