Groupset or Wheels Decision

Andyb10
Andyb10 Posts: 126
edited November 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi All, what would you do

2011 Chorus 11 and some R-SYS SL wheels or 2011 Record or Dura Ace and some cheaper wheels - say Fulcrum Zeros

Going onto Cervelo S3

Comments

• rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Lucky you :)
    What's on the bike at the moment mate?
  • Andyb10
    RC 856 - Nothing just ordered the frame at the weekend
  • Better wheels IMO
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Why would you put ultralight stiff climbing wheels on an S3? and why would you put them on anything given the hill climbing season being over. Get something aero to actually give you some performance improvement on the rides you'll do or get something comfortable (ie not as stiff) to give you a more comfortable ride if you care less about performance.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Andyb10
    jibberjim wrote:
    Why would you put ultralight stiff climbing wheels on an S3? and why would you put them on anything given the hill climbing season being over. Get something aero to actually give you some performance improvement on the rides you'll do or get something comfortable (ie not as stiff) to give you a more comfortable ride if you care less about performance.

Well was also considering have some Cosmic Carbone SRs
  • Haynes
    Haynes Posts: 670
    Andy

Primera are offering the R sys for £550, 1/2 price. http://www.primera-sports.com/products/ ... -4422.aspx

But living in Poole i guess you know that already??

They nearly sold me a pair but i just couldnt buy in to those hideous large diameter spokes, they may or may not actually be aero but aesthetically they dont speak aero, and all the pics on the net of failed wheels didnt help sway me towards them. But if they appeal to you, at that price go for it, and order up your record group set, and maybe a pair of cheap training wheels.
    <hr><font>The trick is not MINDING that it hurts.</font>
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    jibberjim wrote:
    Why would you put ultralight stiff climbing wheels on an S3?

Why wouldn't you?
  • Andyb10
    Haynes wrote:
    Andy

Primera are offering the R sys for £550, 1/2 price. http://www.primera-sports.com/products/ ... -4422.aspx

But living in Poole i guess you know that already??

They nearly sold me a pair but i just couldnt buy in to those hideous large diameter spokes, they may or may not actually be aero but aesthetically they dont speak aero, and all the pics on the net of failed wheels didnt help sway me towards them. But if they appeal to you, at that price go for it, and order up your record group set, and maybe a pair of cheap training wheels.

Yes I saw them on Saturday when I was in there and I know what you mean. The Carbone SRs looked quite nice though. Quite tempted by them
  • Friend of mine just bought some of the carbone's and they do look and ride really well once up to speed.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Andyb10 wrote:
    RC 856 - Nothing just ordered the frame at the weekend

Oh yeah....the 'going onto a cervelo' kind of gave it away!!!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    For a groupset - consider Sram Force:

http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=88015

s3_Red1.jpg
  • As a cycle store manager of many years I would reccomend that the frame and wheels are key then the finish kit as these can be the big weight savings I would support the sram argument for groupset as the price per weight per performance is the top for me over Shimano and Campagnolo currently I have all three on different bikes.

I have a nomal set of dt 1.1 rims on royce hubs 32h the rear has been tied and soldered they were built by Chaz curry of cc tweaked and are the best wheels I have ridden he also applies this dark art to carbon wheelsets. I would be careful about factory wheel sets as they can be nice at first but a nightmare to get spares for. The beauty of my wheelset is they out perform most Mavic's and other factory wheels and will last me as long as I need them to the rims spokes and bearings can be replace with ease of supply. However they are two years old and still on the first set of bearings the first tension and true this year I trained for and rode the Marmott race crits an tt's all on this very capable set of wheels.