transfer fees

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited November 2010 in Pro race
Reported that Sean Kelly is asking that there be a transfer fee system when big teams sign riders, esp from smaller teams. What do you think? I agree with Kelly

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Only there's no transfer. The likes of Brammeier left for HTC when his contract expired. If you work on a fixed term contract you are free to do what ever you like next.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    A transfer fee is just a sum of money to buy someone out of a contract. They already exist.
  • Stu T
    Stu T Posts: 127
    I think he may have been refering to the rule regarding under 23s in Football.

If a club has developed the player they are entitled to a transfer fee if the contract has expired and the player moves onto another club
    I wear Lycra because I like the way it feels
  • dave_1
    edited November 2010
    Stu T wrote:

If a club has developed the player they are entitled to a transfer fee if the contract has expired and the player moves onto another club

Yes, he was referring to his An Post team's development role, and that they are on a tight budget. Don't you dislike big teams using big budgets to gut smaller teams when riders on small teams wins?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Stu T wrote:

Maybe, but in football it's a bit easier to identify who developed a played (and I think it should only be for u21s).

However, Kelly specifically mentions Matt Brammeier, who has previously ridden for Profel, DFL and the British Academy, so I don't see that he has a valid point in that case.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    surely out of contract is self explanitory? penalises the good developing teams for sure, maybe they'd be better served if they got a better contract writer?
    FCN 12
  • dave_1
    RichN95 wrote:
    Stu T wrote:

Maybe, but in football it's a bit easier to identify who developed a played (and I think it should only be for u21s).

However, Kelly specifically mentions Matt Brammeier, who has previously ridden for Profel, DFL and the British Academy, so I don't see that he has a valid point in that case.

Maybe An Post should pull out...make big teams take the gamble on unproven riders rather than use small teams on small budgets to do the sifting?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Maybe An Post should pull out...make big teams take the gamble on unproven riders rather than use small teams on small budgets to do the sifting?

Or maybe they'd do it like they do in football, with the big rich teams signing up all the young talent on the cheap and then throwing An Post the scraps when they don't work out.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    If An Post want to keep the better riders, look for a bigger sponsor to pay them more. You have a average sized sponsor, you get average riders and compete in the medium sized races.

I don't see why cycling (or any other sport) should be any different from any other form of employment. You sign a contract to do a fixed amount of work, and at the end of the contract you're free to negotiate a new one or you go somewhere else.

If I'm a writer or something with a small publishing company and I write a book, why should the small publishing company get extra when I'm snapped up by Harper Collins and write the next Harry Potter?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    edited November 2010
    It's not like the big sponsors have loads of free cash just to shower around. And the smaller teams aren't always big on development. They rarely offer proper coaching, instead short contracts, rough conditions and other tough ways are the norm. It's sink or swim and the small teams exploit this, knowing riders want their shot at something bigger and will put up with a year living in a Flemish shed.

Big teams do have feeder squads. Garmin has Holowesko, Radioshack has Trek-Livestrong and Sky gets half its riders from the BC Academy. French, Belgian and Italian squads also have links to particular amateur squads already.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    its the contract length thats the problem. a transfer system needs 4 and 5 year contracts.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • dave_1
    Of course the riders contracts finish so they are free to go, but teams like An Post shouldn't be let to sink when they provide a decent service...which is how it could go if you read between the lines of what Kelly is saying. The developers of the talent, the ones who took a gamble on the rider when nobody else would, should be recognised a bit as well...not only the poachers who deter contract extensions by the riders on An Post
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    A team like An Post get the talented rider for a year at a low rate and get the exposure it brings. That's why they're in the game.

Sean is just seeing a way he could've made some cash here.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    If they were to introduce a transfer system maybe it would bring changes with it. So, for example, a small team might sign young prospects to longer contracts. The prospects wouldn't mind signing the longer contracts because of the ability to transfer mid-contract, whereas now they might not want to sign for so long.

It would be very difficult to get a system that works well with the pro cycling model as it stands. If this sort of thing did happen team budgets would need to increase even more and there would probably be more feeder teams created.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    iainf72 wrote:
    Sean is just seeing a way he could've made some cash here.

Some things never change, eh? :wink:
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Just sounds like Sean is wanting a transfer system which use to happen in many sports. Like in football before the Bosman ruling. Not going to happen, nor do i really think anyone is serious over this. Players were basically owned by the club with or without a contract. Its better how it is now where players/riders are free to ove whereever once there contract has ended.

A Rider see's out his contract and moves on. Good luck to the guy. Seems more of a non story.