Etape I up.....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
I have negotiated terms with my wife to do the etape 2012!!!!

Bonzer!

Back in the saddle!

Now need, training plan and the all important superbike!

Comments

• ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    Well you've got plenty of time to train for it.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've seen they are doing two stages this year, including Alpe De Huez.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    gtvlusso wrote:
    I have negotiated terms with my wife
    Were you redeeming a whole wheelbarrow of brownie points previously accrued, or is there some Brownie Point Attainment Plan with monthly targets mapped out for the next two years on a chart stuck to the fridge?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • gtvlusso
    Asprilla wrote:
    I've seen they are doing two stages this year, including Alpe De Huez.

Yes - I wanted to do this year, but it is not gonna be possible with junior.

So, I have negotiated a holiday and doing the Etape as part of it next year.....thinking about using my steel framed racer!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,408
    Aha, the old, "let's go on holiday to the Alps ... while we are there, I might pop out on my bike one day." approach.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    rjsterry wrote:
    Aha, the old, "let's go on holiday to the Alps ... while we are there, I might pop out on my bike one day." approach.

I'm about to try this exact approach for the Nove Colli next year ;-)
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    gtvlusso wrote:
    So, I have negotiated a holiday and doing the Etape as part of it next year.....thinking about using my steel framed racer!

No.

No, no, no.

It's a romantic notion, I grant you, but go carbon. Why make things more difficult than they need to be? :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gtvlusso
    cjcp wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

No.

No, no, no.

It's a romantic notion, I grant you, but go carbon. Why make things more difficult than they need to be? :)

Because I have done it twice before on a steel frame!! However, I would like to buy a superbike.....may have to sell a kidney though.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    gtvlusso wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

No.

No, no, no.

Because I have done it twice before on a steel frame!! However, I would like to buy a superbike.....may have to sell a kidney though.

Respect. But, this time, sell the kidney. You'll have a super bike and you'll be lighter.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Probably better off putting the money not spent on a CF bike towards some decent hilly training weekends away somewhere ? A decent steel frame will be fine.
  • gtvlusso
    cjcp wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

No.

No, no, no.

Respect. But, this time, sell the kidney. You'll have a super bike and you'll be lighter.

It is a good call - the knees may not be up to it again, slightly fatter, greyer and more liable to complaining = will buy the superbike!

Previous steel frame was a lovely Colnago, sold for a house deposit....
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Given you've done the Etape twice, can I ask why you are doing it again, esp when there are so many (less busy & cheaper) Euro Sportives to choose from. Just wondering is all. :D
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Given you've done the Etape twice, can I ask why you are doing it again, esp when there are so many (less busy & cheaper) Euro Sportives to choose from. Just wondering is all. :D
    This. They've become very expensive to enter.

Will be doing the marmotte again next year.

On the todo list:
    maratona
    quebrantahuesos
    cingles du ventoux (not a sportive just madness)

+ others that escape me just now
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Guess a lot depends on the etape route - neither of next year's have inspired me so I'll be doing the Marmotte instead hopefully. There have been some corkers though.