Winter bike

canoas
canoas Posts: 307
edited November 2010 in Road buying advice
I'm tired of using my carbon bike over winter, I just don't like the idea again.... using my best carbon bike over winter. I have a cyclocross bike I use for the odd comp and commuting to work, but I find the canter lever brakes are not the best on the road especially if doing a training session at my club run or mates run on Sunday.

I want to use the cycle scheme and pay the rest, anything from £1-2K. Any suggestions, I was thinking of venturing into a steel bike like Colnago Master. Something that's tough during winter, will leave the carbon compact 12-17 for summer and Europe.

Steel, Alu ??? or carbon winter styled bike.

Comments

• Condor Fratello 2011
  • silverpigeon
    silverpigeon Posts: 327
    edited November 2010
    For me, something in Alu and no need to spend that much on a winter hack. Steel is more likely to suffer in the wet and salt. Carbon would be fine but I would only use low end groupsets during the winter and most carbon frames are 105 (or equivalent) at least

My choice was a Willier Xenon Escape which are around £700-800. Absolutely superb bike, was out on it today in rain and gale force winds. Didn't put a foot wrong. Weight is about 9.5kgs so no lightweight, but that's what you need in the wind. Besides it's so stiff you don't notice the weight anyway.
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • I fancy the frattelo as want to do a non mountain euro tour next year and think it could be the all round bike for me, and I like the whole condor 'thing' :D
    Either that or Van Nick Mistral
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    You're too scared to use a carbon bike, but considering buying a Colnago Master :shock: Made of thin steel, quite expensive and probably no tougher than carbon.

I'm considering buying one (The X Lite) but it would be a Sunday best.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    You should consider mudgaurd eyelets and tyre clearance for a winter bike (up to 28mm tyres ?). You may as well get seatstay rack fittings so you can carry a useful commuting/light-touring load. This will radically expand the usefulness of the bike without any downside.
    Kinesis Racelight is a good example.
  • try upgarding your break pads m8, my X-Cross works fine with Swiss pads.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    What MichaelW said. You need one of these

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12739339
  • canoas
    canoas Posts: 307
    I must say the Colango Master is £1,500 for the frame only, so forget that!

Will check that condor model out and Racelight. I already have winter tryes & mudguards, I just want a bike, I don't have to worry about...don't have to clean as much.....take care of it after every ride...worry about expensive components etc.
  • 2alexcoo
    2alexcoo Posts: 251
    The Genesis Equilibrium is very nice, and will take proper mudguards:

39109-96637_1_Zoom.jpg
    Alex