Help Cycling uniform shock horror

busta gonad
busta gonad Posts: 162
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Please help me break with conformity, what can i wear that doesn't make me look like a dork, it's the same on offer in all cycling outlets it seems, a uniform of sorts and it comes in one colour black! all i need is a cape and i'm the next superhero in kick ass, a sort of ninja cycling goon, there must be something out of the ordinary out there that mkes me look like a well balanced human being, have you ever looked at a group riders photo and just cringed.

Comments

• Jeans and a hoody do me if I'm not going too far..
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    This is pretty rediculous, for £55 i have a bright green fox xc jersey and black shorts, and theres literally hundreds of bright coloured jerseys and shorts out there... have you even looked hard?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do you shop at 'Emos R Us'?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I think it comes down to the simple fact that all cycling gear ends up being shorts and a top or leggings and a top- much like clothes in general.
    You could try riding in a kilt or a skirt but it may be a bit cold at this time of the year!

just find a great top you like and the MTFU and ride.

I havent yet found a mirror on any trail I have ridden!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    If your clothing isn't mostly mud colour riding at this time of year then you're doing it wrong.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    wordnumb wrote:
    If your clothing isn't mostly mud colour riding at this time of year then you're doing it wrong.

This.
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    I have to agree I look at most pictures of people out riding and think wow they look bloody stupid, which is fine if the person is not caring how he looks and is just having fun, but they're often looking terrible in expensive shorts and jerseys.

I think the riding get up for mountain biking is pretty poor to be honest, the "team" jerseys are mostly shocking and I think coupled with a camel back looks like a bit like sad, that said I use a camel back out of need not for looks.

Me I ride in shorts, whatever shorts I happen get out of the draw at the time, not cylcing shorts or even baggies just shorts. I also use an animal t shirt (I think maybe DH or BMX orientated) so essentially I ride in shorts and a t shirt :lol:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    underdog wrote:
    Me I ride in shorts, whatever shorts I happen get out of the draw at the time, not cylcing shorts or even baggies just shorts. I also use an animal t shirt (I think maybe DH or BMX orientated) so essentially I ride in shorts and a t shirt :lol:

and you would have died seventeen times from hypothermia had you been out with us yesterday!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • underdog
    cee wrote:
    underdog wrote:

and you would have died seventeen times from hypothermia had you been out with us yesterday!

Why would I? The only time I am cold when riding is when I stop, so I don't stop, seems simple to me :wink:

I carry a light water proof jacket with me but honestly I have never used it, t-shirt in the rain isn't an issue at all.

Would a hideously coloured lycra jersey to match the branding of my bike have kept me safe? A £70 pair of shorts?

Come on, most of the stuff is just for "looking the part".
  • cee
    underdog

cos about 40 miles in the highlands descending from snow covered peaks will do that to a silly boy in shorts and t-shirt!

:D

and for me...its not the stuff you can see that is the most important...for those rides...a baselayer is an absolute must.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • underdog
    cee wrote:
    underdog

cos about 40 miles in the highlands descending from snow covered peaks will do that to a silly boy in shorts and t-shirt!

and for me...its not the stuff you can see that is the most important...for those rides...a baselayer is an absolute must.

Then you would have to excuse me for not gearing up for a ride in the Scottish highlands it's probably because I ride in South Wales, who knows huh :lol: As for the silly boy part of it, you're either very old or I give off the impression I am young :wink:

My objection is with what you do see, that's what I mean, I use padded shorts under my shorts, for comfort, not foudn the need for a baselayer but when the time comes I will happily use one, I have glasses in my bag I've only found the need to use once but they are there when I need them. Gearing up for the conditions does not need matching jersey and bike.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    underdog wrote:

most of the stuff is just for "looking the part".

I expect we've all been suckered into thinking we need all the expensive technical gear to some extent or other.

And for some, looking the part is more important than actually being able to ride their bike ... and we can all spot these people out on the trail can't we :-), they're the ones taking ages getting ready in the trail-centre car park, in full view of as many other people as possible, loudly exalting whatever fancy piece of kit they've just bought, occasionally casting a glance around the vicinity to check people are looking, bla bla bla
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The only things I have that are even remotely "cycling" oriented for riding in, are gloves, and some Royal baggy tops. I sweat a lot, so it was a revelation finding tops that made me rethink the whole cotton T-shirt thing.
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I always wear black shorts when I ride (3/4 lengths), padded shorts underneath for comfort, and maybe a subtle sombrio or fox jersey... something simple, effective and not overly expensive... As for base layers, either a bamboo base layer from spokeshirts.com (I think..), which is under a tenner, or a long sleeve helly hansen one.

I think the way I dress on the bike is very similar to the way I dress off the bike.. dark colours.. blacks, greens etc, it's just what I like. Why people would want to wear this:

41gfObgXJEL._AA300_.jpg

is beyond me, but that said, I'd never wear anything that colourful off the bike.. if you like it, then good for you, but I'll never be seen wearing something like that..

[sarcasm] I like to be more stealthy on a bike, more like a ninja, so that people won't see the awesomeness that is coming their way when I do a rad sick 360 frontbackunderflip to x-up no hander nac nac can of pringles whip!!!!!!1!1!! [/sarcasm]
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ^^Yep, hideous. :shock:
  • underdog
    The only things I have that are even remotely "cycling" oriented for riding in, are gloves, and some Royal baggy tops. I sweat a lot, so it was a revelation finding tops that made me rethink the whole cotton T-shirt thing.

Agree I have a t shirt that doesn't soak in sweat, it's brown and plain :lol:

The biggest cringe for me is magazines, I look at photo shoots, mostly of the staff riding somewhere and think they look like an alternative village people :oops:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I do like it when they're obviously aware of the fact that they look like spackers. The MBUK shoots are great for that- "Hey guys, pose like you think you're cool!" "We can't!"

But cycling kit is available in lots of colours and flavours, therefore, this thread is rubbish.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cee
    underdog wrote:
    cee wrote:
    underdog

Then you would have to excuse me for not gearing up for a ride in the Scottish highlands it's probably because I ride in South Wales, who knows huh :lol: As for the silly boy part of it, you're either very old or I give off the impression I am young :wink:

My objection is with what you do see, that's what I mean, I use padded shorts under my shorts, for comfort, not foudn the need for a baselayer but when the time comes I will happily use one, I have glasses in my bag I've only found the need to use once but they are there when I need them. Gearing up for the conditions does not need matching jersey and bike.

which is why I pre-qualified it with...if you had been out with us yesterday...you would have died of hypothermia...seventeen times!

Silly boys do not have to be below a certain age! Some older blokes are the silliest of boys.

Matching jersey and bike...yeah I agree...is entirely unneccessary. I don't ride to be seen by anyone else. My gear is a total hodgepodge of different stuff, much of it not bike specific, but it all works really well.

H.G. Wells.
  • The all black comment was just a genralisation, when i seem to be looking for kit, all the funky stuff is gone, race face,sombrio nada or only in XXL and then the stuff comes with huge fucking logos, like i really want to advertise thier crass , over priced tat, there is big demand for this boutique stuff, so most of my cycling uniform is in black. How do they justifiy the cost of this rubbish
  • underdog
    How do they justifiy the cost of this rubbish

By pretending we need technologies that are MTB specific :wink: Truth is look in sports direct for the out doors stuff, running stuff and climbing stuff, cheaper and made of the same materials, and often a lot less hideous.
  • underdog wrote:
    How do they justifiy the cost of this rubbish

By pretending we need technologies that are MTB specific :wink: Truth is look in sports direct for the out doors stuff, running stuff and climbing stuff, cheaper and made of the same materials, and often a lot less hideous.

Yeah try Aldi for budget gear you still look like a goon, but at least they don't charge an arm and a leg for the privilage, like you say the fabrics look the same for a fraction of the cost, just my luck totaly sold out in my size :roll: .