What Cross tyre?

mroli
mroli Posts: 3,622
edited November 2010 in Road buying advice
Decent cross tyre, allrounder really for some gravel path, some muddy bridleway, some tarmac, that has some puncture resistance (and won't break the bank)?

700c and no wide problems...

I have no idea I'm afraid - tips (and links!) would be great.

Ta muchly.

Comments

  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    FWIW most cross tyres designed for riding fast are pretty lightweight and don't offer much puncture protection. For training I've been using a pair of Specialized Houffalize for a few years and they've worn pretty well and roll surprisingly fast for a knobbly tyre - I can easily hold 20mph at 60psi. For cheap and strong, try Schwalbe Landcruisers - but a bugger to fit apparently!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    Trouble is what you describe requires different tread patterns.What works well in mud wont be good for tarmac and vice versa. You'll have to find a good compromise but it will always be just that...

    I got some Scwalbe CX Comps in the summer as an all-rounder and they have done well on grass, loose stuff and roll fast on tarmac. They arent great in deep mud etc but otherwise do pretty well - they have good edge nobblies so do help in looser stuff and cornering but the fairly flat centre area is great for firmer conditions. Cheap as well which is a bonus but I dont have huge experience with cross options so you might get some good options elsewhere. I'm racing on Challenge Griffos now but would want to ride tarmac on them for any distance as they really are an off-road tyre.
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Cheers guys - suspicions have been proved correct then, that there is no good "All round" tyre and I should just bite the bullet and get something and get on with it.

    Have been tempted by the Schwalbe CX Tyres, will look at the landcruisers and specialized too, and have been thinking about Racing Ralphs(sp?), but I guess there is no "ideal" tyre.....

    Thanks for your help.

    M
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Slight thread hijack if that's ok mroli?

    Any recommendations for muddy CX tyres (clincher)? Something that grips well in mud, but also sheds mud easily.

    I have Schwalbe Smart Sams on at the moment (came with the bike), which are fine early on in a race, but they hold onto the mud quite easy which makes it interesting the more the race goes on.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    mroli wrote:
    Cheers guys - suspicions have been proved correct then, that there is no good "All round" tyre and I should just bite the bullet and get something and get on with it.

    Have been tempted by the Schwalbe CX Tyres, will look at the landcruisers and specialized too, and have been thinking about Racing Ralphs(sp?), but I guess there is no "ideal" tyre.....

    Thanks for your help.

    M

    I had the Racing Ralphs and thought they were a good compromise. Not suited to muddy conditions, but fine for grass/towpaths, etc without sacrficing too much speed on the road.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,105
    hammerite wrote:
    Slight thread hijack if that's ok mroli?

    Any recommendations for muddy CX tyres (clincher)? Something that grips well in mud, but also sheds mud easily.

    I have Schwalbe Smart Sams on at the moment (came with the bike), which are fine early on in a race, but they hold onto the mud quite easy which makes it interesting the more the race goes on.

    Michelin Mud 2s. Easily the best mud clincher available.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    andyp wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    Slight thread hijack if that's ok mroli?

    Any recommendations for muddy CX tyres (clincher)? Something that grips well in mud, but also sheds mud easily.

    I have Schwalbe Smart Sams on at the moment (came with the bike), which are fine early on in a race, but they hold onto the mud quite easy which makes it interesting the more the race goes on.

    Michelin Mud 2s. Easily the best mud clincher available.

    Thanks Andy, sorry late reply not been on for a while.
  • Nack
    Nack Posts: 61
    hammerite wrote:

    Any recommendations for muddy CX tyres (clincher)? Something that grips well in mud, but also sheds mud easily.

    I have Schwalbe Smart Sams on at the moment (came with the bike), which are fine early on in a race, but they hold onto the mud quite easy which makes it interesting the more the race goes on.

    I fitted Panaracer Cindercross to my Uncle John and tried them out last Saturday for the first time. They are brilliant in the mud, the amount of grip you get in the muddy sections is just great.

    Funny you mention Smart Sams, I used these last summer and thought they were a good compromise in terms of road / trails riding, but thought I needed something more extreme for the winter months. The Smart Sams are quite a bit faster on the road though. Am also a bit worried that the treads on the Cindercross tyres will wear down quite quickly...
  • "Any recommendations for muddy CX tyres (clincher)? Something that grips well in mud, but also sheds mud easily."

    I agree with the recommendation of MIchelin Mud 2s. Excellent in the mud and pretty fast-rolling.

    I run mine tubeless at about 45psi.

    Incidentally, in the dry I use Maxxis Raze.
  • plus one for mud 2s
  • Schwalbe Scouts 700x28c, never seem to wear out or get punctures, you can pump them up to 85psi for road/path use, light enough and best of all cheap (if you can still find them), wouldn't use anything else, cheers lou