XBox 360 Kinect - Anyone got one?

CyclingBantam
CyclingBantam Posts: 1,299
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm thinking of getting one for the other half this Christmas but have not seen many unbiased reviews on them.

Are they as good as they look or are they just a gimmick like the Wii (In my opinion).

She will probably use the fitness games mainly but we may get the odd other game specifically for it.

What are peoples opinions?

Comments

• Lancslad
    Lancslad Posts: 307
    My local tesco had one set up and some kid was playing on it. It looked good. I guess how long it would last will depend on how much future software depends on it and if it works with real action games as oppsed to just fitness/sport.
    Novice runner & novice cyclist
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I don't have one, brother does. His initial review (by text, hence so short) was
    "It's pretty cool. Unlike the Wii, it responds in real time to momentum, speed, force etc. I'm impressed."

And then a day or so later another comment saying it was extremely good.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • tried one at tesco, i think it was really good, might wait till after xmas the fitness and dance games are the best so far
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Not really interested, but I have heard that you need a big room, ideally there should be 6 - 8 ft between you and the TV and no coffee table in between, something to bear in mind.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    On my prefered comic forum reviews and comments have been nothing but negative.

One of the most resounding was, add ons for computer consoles never really catch-on, this dating back to Nintendo's earliest days.

Lack of launch titles are a worry.

On this I honestly think DDD's no first example of first gen tech rule applies. Wait for the second version (probably built into the console at launch - can't be long now for the PS3/Wii/X-box 360 replacements) or the second generation of both Microsoft and Sony's motion sensor gaming devices.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    BenBlyth wrote:
    I'm thinking of getting one for the other half this Christmas but have not seen many unbiased reviews on them.

Are they as good as they look or are they just a gimmick like the Wii (In my opinion).

She will probably use the fitness games mainly but we may get the odd other game specifically for it.

What are peoples opinions?

My mate is the picture editor of Nuts, he had a go and said it was good.

Mind you he was watching two topless girls play it before him. There's a video NOT SAFE FOR WORK VIDEO of two topless girls playing on a Kinect that he was producing. It's not a direct link. You have to scroll down to find the video.

the video doesn't tell you much about the Kinect, but it might encourage you to buy one for the other half :shock:
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Until Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony embrace the pr0n industry these are mere toys. Real gamers use a keyboard and mouse.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Ive always found that if you are playing a game seriously it is much easier to use the manual controlls-analogue sticks etc rather than sixaxis, playstation move, playstation eye etc. The sixaxis thing in ps3 controllers i found to be too sensitive-sometimes making you crash into a wall etc. The playstation eye i found to sometimes not register your movements, especially if someone was in the room with you.
  • I got one and had to take it back. I have a 8 foot gap between my tv and the sofa when it is pushed all the way back and this wasn't enough room. The kinect needs to be able to see your whole body to work properly i am 6foot 3 so for it to see all of me i would need at least 9 foot. So if you are tall like me you do need a big room to play if you are smaller you will get away with a smaller room.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    At the moment I see it as something intended for women and children. For those who play "proper" games the reasons of getting it are rather limited at the moment. I'm also concerned about the talk of lag between the gamer moving and that move happening on screen.
  • squired wrote:
    At the moment I see it as something intended for women and children. For those who play "proper" games the reasons of getting it are rather limited at the moment. I'm also concerned about the talk of lag between the gamer moving and that move happening on screen.

That's what I am hoping. :D
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sixaxis on the playstation never worked, it was an afterthought and an attempt to reduce the impact of the wii and it's wii-mote.

Truth is at the time of launch Sony didn't spend enough time developing the technology and the designers didn't develop the games to handle that type of input.

I play:

Pro Evo, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Red Dead Redemption, Dragon Age, Halo, Call of Dut, Star Trek Online etc

I do not see Kinentic or 'move' or wii catering to my pefered gameplay.

I'll leave it to the Pokemon generation.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game