Paul's Cycles

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited November 2010 in MTB general
As many will know I often recommend them for great prices - even though being mail order you are going to struggle to try them out.

Just wondered what your opinion was of the service, and especially the set up of the bike when it arrived?

Comments

• i ordered a Trek Fuel off of them a few years back.

good communication over the phone, product was as decribed and was delivered when they siad it would be......and as you said......at a good price?

overall no complaints.

but why do you ask the question.....?? :?
  • capoz77
    capoz77 Posts: 503
    Got my Kona Coiler off them for the bargainous price of £700 a few years ago.

Turned up next day,

front wheel/stem needed straighening, apart from that usual checks and good to go.

Reccomend to anyone.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Well last two bikes of mine weren't not set up at all - had not been touched bar the tyres inflated. They go to quite a length to say that they would be set up. I emailed them about it but no reponse. No big deal for me I guess as a former mechanic. Apart from that, were great on the phone when ordering, and were patient when HSBC declined the sale.
  • I've never bought from them, but they do have some great offers on there.

When I have tried to enquire regarding any of the offers, I have had no response whatsoever via email, and the time I did get to speak to someone on the phone, I got the impression that my call was an inconvenience to him, which put me off and resulted in me going elsewhere.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • Davy-g
    Davy-g Posts: 401
    I bought a 2008 Giant Reign X0 from them a few months back.. Bike was setup properly as far as I could tell (I am not a Mechanic :wink: ), the bike worked perfectly straight outa the box...

their delivery was also fast as I got the bike the next day before 10am 8) 8)
  • I have had 2 bikes from them and the service was spot on, good after sales care regarding warranties and the prices can't be beat in most cases.
  • Got my most recent bike (Trance X4 '09) bike from them. Bike was pretty much ready for action out of the box, apart from me having to get the shocks to the right pressure.

However, they hadn't made it clear that I would have to pay a 10% Cyclescheme charge (fair enough, but they just didn't tell me and a search of the website at the time failed to reveal it) and never responded to a query I made by email.

I would still recommend them though.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    They did a fine job with the warranty on my Lyriks, very quick turnaround- I was expecting to be waiting ages.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Used them last year. Seemed to be set up ok, but I fiddle, so can't be sure. Did have a problem with delivery though - Courier arrived and conversation went something like:
    Sign here.
    Just let me check in the box.
    You can't
    Pardon?
    You can't, you have to sign first.
    Yeah right.
    You can't those are the companies rules.
    Then I'm not signing.
    Then I'll take it back.
    You won't that's mine.
    Then sign.
    No.
    Etc for about 10 minutes until I pointed out it would only have taken 30 seconds to check the box.

He tried to drag it out of the building - we had a tug of war, and he stormed off.

A while later I got a call from his boss asking why I refused to sign - I explained and he said those are the rules. If the box is opened before I sign and there is anything wrong, they get the blame. Duh!!!!!
    I told him it was a stupid rule, and anyone who took delivery of a £1000 plus box without checking the contents was a d*ck. I'm not.
    By then I'd checked it all anyway so I told him to send the courier back and I'd sign.

A while later got a call from someone at Paul's asking what was wrong with the bike and why wouldn't I sign. I explained and he said that it was normal not to check, and they'd sort out any problems anyway. I mentioned that their site specifically said to check before signing or no comebacks. Apparently that's just there for show.

Bizarre IMHO but the bike was good, the price excellent and I'd use them again. And fight with the courier.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Phinx
    Phinx Posts: 297
    Well, my experience with them was great. I got my Giant Yukon FX 3 from them last year in November. Quick order, everything was in place. All i had to do is straighten the bars, tighten the stem and get the wheels in and i was ready to go. Definitely would recommend them for a bargain bike.
    Giant Yukon FX3
  • I've had my Mongoose Teocali Elite 08 from them for about a couple of months now. Delivery came when expected, bike was packed well and set up was good. All the bolts were tight and even the gears were indexed. Happy Days!!

As with anything mail order or not, you're gonna get bad experiences. As for this occassion, I'm a happy chappy!!

P.S. 800 sheets for the spec is a steal :D
  • Its mail order though... i wouldn't expect any bike that turns up in a box to be properly built I dont think.

Their website is very misleading. I thinkthere was a topic similar to this about 6months ago where the chap was fuming because it hadn't been setup.
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    I had a good experience with them,bike was sent out and minimal set up required.But It was the courier that buggered things up, laid the box flat and a lot of oil had leaked out from the top of the Rockshox MOCO adjuster.I phoned them and they sent me a 250ml bottle of five weight oil out with printed instructions on how to refill.
    Now I am very bike savvy, but others might not be.this might pose a problem for some.But a phone call normally sorts things out, they even offered to service the fork if I was not doing the oil refill my self.

Good service.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I looked into them for C2W and they were upfront about the 10% charge
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Bought an 09 Giant Anthem from them this time last year. Worked fine straight out of the box. Couldn't fault them at all, plus the price was £250 less than RRP!
  • supersonic wrote:
    Well last two bikes of mine weren't not set up at all - had not been touched bar the tyres inflated. They go to quite a length to say that they would be set up. I emailed them about it but no reponse. No big deal for me I guess as a former mechanic. Apart from that, were great on the phone when ordering, and were patient when HSBC declined the sale.

I purchased a bike that was a good deal, £600 for a Giant XTC 2.5 2008, decent enough spec for the money so no complaints in that department....but..

The Juicy 3 brakes seemed unchecked as they were both spongy and felt loose right from the off, could pull them almost to the bars in fact before any decent bite. Not having owned any juicy's prior to this, I wasn't sure if this was a trait of this particular model or not.

The bolts on the cheapo raceface crank that came with the bike came loose within 2 or 3 week roughly, I was cleaning the bike upside down and happened to put my hand on the middle/large rings at the same time and noticed the wobble, I had noticed shifting problems between the 2 rings prior to this so it wasn't a surprise, none of the bolts on either ring were tight at all. Gave me the feeling this was not checked either.

I also noticed the chain was 'incredibly sticky', which gave me the impression they had no re-lubed since it first arrived at their warehouse in 2008!