High Comedy

dav_safc
dav_safc Posts: 59
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
Was taking on my 16 mile commute to work on Tuesday. Bit later than normal so the road users were a bit differnet to normal.
Got overtaken by someone who seemed to be on a very utilitarian bike. Very heavy wheels, double panniers, hub dyanamo etc. Red mist descended and absolutely mullered self for about 2 km. Safe in the knowledge that I would have burned off the person.
She caught me up. Not out of breath and very relaxed. Thought at first she must have been super human. Looked at her bike and she was being assisted by an electic motor. Tried to have conv. with her but was gasping for breath. She disappeared into the distance, though presumably not burning off as many calories as myself.
Beware; ageing boy racers in the mid Northumberland area you could end up being as embarassed as me.

Comments

• Electric Bikes = FCN 14, below shoppers with wicker basket ... :D Are those bikes designed to carry much weight? I'd have thought the cargo of scalps would burn the motor out before you get very far ...
    Souped-Up Trek Hybrid ( Clipless & Skinnies - FCN 6 )

Regularly humbled by the RP3LC, and the FG temptation is getting too much.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Electric Bikes = FCN 14, below shoppers with wicker basket ... :D Are those bikes designed to carry much weight? I'd have thought the cargo of scalps would burn the motor out before you get very far ...

I saw a gocycle the other day maintaining a solid 20mph fcn of 14 might need readjusting
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    They're not supposed to assist above 15mph, although it is possible that some people 'delimit' them.
    This site says some bikes have an extra setting to allow you to go faster 'off road'. http://www.swindonclimate.org.uk/ElectricBikes
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jds_1981 wrote:
    They're not supposed to assist above 15mph, although it is possible that some people 'delimit' them.
    This isn't that uncommon. In most cases its just a case of upping the gearing.

Perhaps that FCN should only apply on the flat. I've been blown away by an electric bike going uphill a couple of times when I've previously overtaken it on the flat.

Mike
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    mudcovered wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    This isn't that uncommon. In most cases its just a case of upping the gearing.

Perhaps that FCN should only apply on the flat. I've been blown away by an electric bike going uphill a couple of times when I've previously overtaken it on the flat.

Mike
    Haha. The next evolution will be 'chipped' electric bikes. With blue LED strips along the down tube :wink:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Electric Bikes = FCN 14, below shoppers with wicker basket ... :D Are those bikes designed to carry much weight? I'd have thought the cargo of scalps would burn the motor out before you get very far ...

I saw a gocycle the other day maintaining a solid 20mph fcn of 14 might need readjusting

Agreed - I mean - there's no way you could do that on a shopper.
  • Pretty certain this was the beast

http://www.oxygenbicycles.co.uk/electri ... preme.html

I might not be Eddy Merckx but this was certainly going well in excess of 15 mph. Closer to 20 I would say

David
  • I believe in the UK they're supposedly restricted to 15mph unassisted - but the motor still helps above that.
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Shocking ..............
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.