Bottom bracket identification - and tool for removal

sugarbeet
sugarbeet Posts: 39
edited November 2010 in The workshop
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. My Dahon D5 folder has a broken Bottom Bracket. It's a standard shell and I intend to replace it with a cartridge one. (As, apparently, others have done before me). My problem is getting the old one out! I've accumulated at least 4 types of BB tools, but non of them seem to be any use here.

Attached are pics of the drive and non drive side. Note they are different.
The non drive side has 6 semi circular (ish) keys
The drive 8 large square keys.

Can anyone identify this and/or point me to the tool(s) I need to get it out? Many thanks - in advance...

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Gpi-ugIy3LZDSt9GUGmSv4Qz7UFtwQak5gIfx1MSGRM?feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/csMZ68pK54SEaSi65dxTM4Qz7UFtwQak5gIfx1MSGRM?feat=directlink
Cylon cats - have no plan

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hammer and screwdriver as a drift should sort the critter!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • (Back from Bangalore! - and back online). Thanks for the suggestion. After wasting money on yet another useless variety of BB tool. I think brute force may be my only recourse.
  • most bb are relatively easily removed with a cold chisel and a hammer, great for old c&c bb and anything that requires brute force.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what were the cranks fitted?

I am having fun trying to identify the BB. not seen a fitting like that. So looking for any clue I can get.

But TBH a good LBS would be my best suggestion.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The cranks were just nasty cheap things. One piece chainring & crank on one side - that fitted onto the square taper of the BB axel. The BB itself is an old ballrace and lockring style thing. (It's also cheap and nasty).

Google images for "Dahon D5" has a few pics

I've now got one side of the BB (the non drive side) out and and have removed the spindle and both ballraces.

But, I still have the Alu shell of the drive side stuck in the hole. I've managed to move it backwards and forwards about 2 revolutions - using a variety of abusive technologies. Cold chisel, bloody big wrench, freewheel tool, spanner and giant extension bar.

Tried swearing too - but that only helped me feel better, the bracket was unmoved.

It reaches a point where it just jams fast. If I could find a way of exerting more force I think the threads would just strip anyways. Esp as this is an Alu frame/shell.

I'm going to see what my LBS think - but I reckon I'm stuffed. Which is a great shame - but such is life.
  • It's out!

Praise the lord - or more accurately Mr Wallis of A.E. Wallis, Heacham.

After some discussion, the conclusion was... It had been cross threaded (on one side) when put in at the time of manufacture. And probably driven in with an air tool for good measure.

Removal was based on a policy of violence - and a smaller cold chisel that fitted into the 'keys' better.

5 minutes of fairly serious bashing later (I even had another go to vent my frustration on the bloody thing, while he served customers) and it came free. Amazingly, the threads seem to have survived.

Now happily waiting for the postman and my new BB / chainset.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Well done!

How was Bangalore? (Bengeleru now isn't it?) I visit Mumbai (Bombay) quite frequently!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks...

Bangalore was ok. I wouldn't want to go on holiday there mind! I always struggle with the contrast between my posh hotel, the posh western companies I work in and the abject poverty you see through the windows enroute.

The traffic is absolutely insane. It's hard to explain to anyone who hasn't been how mad it is. Like brownian motion with horn noises.

On way to office first thing saw a mad western guy in a crash helment drafting one of those painted Indian trucks (on his MTB) through the morning rush - I assume this is his usual commute! Now that's hardcore. Sadly wasn't quick enough with the camera phone.