How often do people properly clean their bike

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Was just wondering how often people give their bikes a proper good clean. After a ride i give mine a wash off and clean then re-lube the chain but thats about all i do on it most of the time. Once a year i generally strip it down and give it a really good going over cleaning everything properly and checking stuff for wear and damage.

What sort of schedule do other people work to?

Comments

• After muddy ride always.

Drive train wipe and oil once a week.

A part/system in rotation for a proper clean about every month.

Full stripe and clean once a year.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    When something breaks/ falls off
  • I clean mud off and wash/lube drivetrain each ride.
    would not know where to start with stripping much of it down so I just keep going until something happens that requires attention.
  • weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    The Bikes get washed only when absolutely necessary, i.e. after very muddy rides.

I degrease/oil the chain after every ride
    Wipe off mud around the fork stanchions and lube after every ride
    I take the swingarm off and clean the pivots every 6 months. Replace the bearings every 12 months
    Clean the fork seals every 3 months or so...Fox forks! :roll:
    I just stripped down/replaced the bearings in my Hope Hubs after 2 1/2 years. :D
  • I am just about to put new bearings in my hope bottom bracket after about 2 years so while doing this i am giving it its once a year total strip down.
  • Since my bike stays inside my room, and we have carpets in our house, I clean after every ride, unless it's not dirty.
  • After every ride it gets cleaned,Oil,check cables,brakes,spokes but then I just can't leave in the garage dirty :lol:
    Yeti 575,Specialized Turbo levo
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Clean it thoroughly after every ride if it's dirty, don't really see the point in taking it apart to clean though. Don't tend to keep MTBs long enough to need to do pivot bearings etc!
  • After every ride.

Full clean down with tap pressure.
    Muc off all over in stages, bike right way up and upside down.
    Fork re-lubes
    Brake cleans
    Drive train lube

And then every month I take off most parts, strip and clean and then re-build.

Having said that, my bike spec changes so much that I rarely have to clean a lot of stuff!
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 754
    I clean mud off and wash/lube drivetrain each ride.
    would not know where to start with stripping much of it down so I just keep going until something happens that requires attention.

This.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito