Got a single speed

carbonfiend
carbonfiend Posts: 475
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Got it last week 2nd hand on ebay Genesis io. Its in great condition and the lad I got it off upgraded so much (white industries free hub, Thomson Stem, USE carbon bars and seat post & Kona project 2 fork) I had to change front ring as he was running a 44. Been out on it now a few times and gosh where has single speed riding been all my life :D Love it. The whole simplicity of it and connection with the trail & forest is a real treat.

Only thing is this is now bike # 5 :?
'..all the bad cats in the bad hats..'

Comments

• What set-up are you running - is it 32/16?

I've got an ss, which I built early this year and have been out on for the last couple of weeks to up my fitness. I love riding all my bikes, but I do love the simplicity of the ss.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • yeah 32/16 read that best ratio for SS is 2:1 so I just took the 44 ring off and put an old XTRM960 on with just the middle ring.

I really enjoy how riding SS makes you work harder in certain areas (climbs etc) but also makes riding through the shit much easier. And as for cleaning the bike - 10mins max :)

On a seperate point this bike has riser bars on which I have never used (other bikes have flat bars) they have been a revelation as well.
  • Yeah, I have riser bars on all my bikes, and also on the ss. It's also an added benefit having wider bars on the ss too for the extra leverage.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Marin
    SS Inbred
    Mongoose Teocali Super
  • gotta be careful of bars being wide where I ride (epping forest). The policy of the forest is to leave it as it falls etc so areas get overgrown quickly and even with narrow flat bars I've been snagged a good few times but realised risers are going on all my bikes from now.