gt xcr 5 i-drive

kristomson
kristomson Posts: 10
edited November 2010 in Your mountain bikes
not new, just over a year old now at this stage but never got round to posting up until now!

has remained mainly as per original spec, but now upgraded a little with dmr v8 pedals, renthal fatbar riser bars, oneoff dice grips and a change of tyres or two along the way... fresh pics to follow asap.

now looking at upgrading to slx chainset, shifters and cassette etc.

climbs extremely well, descends better and have to say i love the beast! perhaps an aquired taste, but works well for me, and then some!

2009gtid5i-drivexcr5-pic1.jpg

Comments

• dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    Looks nice man, but give that chain a break! Looks like its stretched to buggery!
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Looks like your water bottle is gonna eat a lot of mud.

Decent bike btw. :)
  • Ive got the same bike as you matey.

Not a bad bike, I just like the fact i only paid £750 for it brandnew.

I have to say, I've changed quite abit on mine though, only thing left I need to change now the forks and Chainset...

I'l upload some pics up soon.

Does your bike Creek yet??

If you do decide to get an SLX Chainset, you will have to use the HTII bb provided, as GXP and HTII arn't compatable.
  • thanks for the comments guys...

dot1 - yea see what you mean about how the chain looks! and xtreem - yup, the water bottle sucks up dirt like nothing else! never so grateful for camelbaks! that cage is prob coming off quite soon anyway.

jklash1987 - paid about 15% less than rrp for mine - used a voucher I got online and had a few misc things thrown in too (muc-off, lubes, gloves and shorts), was really happy with the deal and over the moon with the bike! thanks for the heads up on the chainset upgrading too, actually gonna be doin that quite soon, hopefully this side of santa coming.

have to say i've had no creeks (at least not yet?) and I've ridden it pretty hard and in all sorts of conditions etc too... although had probs recently with failed bearings in the rear hub. what forks are you changing too? get those pics up too, wud be keen to see them.
  • Yeah it is a good bike, can't realy falt it so far, I have had the bike since Sept. Considering deacent full-susses start at the £1,500, I think we got quite a good bargin.

When the creeks come up, they are not anything to worry about, it is just the pivotal bearings and the I-links 'in play' , all you need to do is grease the bearings then bang and the creek is gone.

I have a little play in my BB atm, so thats my excuse to upgrade to an SLX Chainset.

These are the forks I intend to buy:
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/rockshox ... 58955.html
    They have lock out etc, so going up those long strait hills should be easier. A few guys on the forum recomended them to me.
    Though the 2007 I-drive 5 frame is only ment to take 130mm of travel, I think 140 should be ok ;)
    Yh I will upload some soon mate...

Heres a quick one I took it a few weeks ago on the iPhone...
    flajjt.jpg

I Take it your one is the 20"?

Ps. Sorry bout the geeky lights, but I cycle to work on it aswell.
  • jklash1987 - your bike looks well, although are those the Recons that came on the bike? Diff from mine, but hard to see properly from the pic (maybe just different graphics?).

Yup, i'm on the 20" model - I'm 6'1 and it fits like a glove. Had tried number of bikes / brands and split between med / large on some, so was a little worried the XCR was big - it looks like it stands very high when idle, but once mounted, everything just comes together for me - it's perfect - I love it. Have nearly always riden GTs (BMXs onwards) and it's a bike that works very well for me. Couldn't get comfy with the geometry of many other bikes over the years.

How about that little mudguard on the front? Just saw those (in MBUK) for the frst time last month and they look interesting. Any good? I run one of the RapidRacer neoprene guards and really can't suss if it doesmuch at all other than collect mud!