Waterproof Rucksack

Pufftmw
Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
edited November 2010 in Commuting chat
What you guys use? I've got a great Timberland one I've been using for years but it was a freebie and is not waterproof, which means I arrive at work with damp clothes and soggy sandwiches...

And before anyone suggests it, the Hump thingy is not an option, but something that is large enough to carry waterproof jacket/trousers, sandwiches, tube and pump required - not much larger. Also one that doesn't make my back sweat would be nice too :)

Comments

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I just use a waterproof liner that you get from outdoor shops. The ones with the roll down and buckle openings. Much cheaper and very effective.
  • I have an Osprey Talon 22 which is reasonably waterproof though use a dry bag in top pocket for phone/purse etc

and for proper rainy days I use an Alpkit 20lt. straps aren't as comfy when fully loaded so I try to take heavy stuff in with the talon.
    http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?tar ... ory_id=295

if my commute were longer than the 6 miles it is I'd probably just get a larger dry bag for inside my talon as that's really comfy
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited November 2010
    I just re-waterproofed mine. This stuff works a treat:

nikwax-tent-gear-solar-proof-03-l-30025.0000_z1.jpg
  • i've got a alpkit gourdon 25 and its spot on. especially for £20!!!

as above the straps arent that padded, but i never have that much heavy kit in my bag anyway. plus side is its bright orange so helps with being seen.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Big yellow Ortleib Velocity. It's excellent and is one of the best bits of kit that I've ever had.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Pufftmw wrote:
    What you guys use? I've got a great Timberland one I've been using for years but it was a freebie and is not waterproof, which means I arrive at work with damp clothes and soggy sandwiches...

And before anyone suggests it, the Hump thingy is not an option, but something that is large enough to carry waterproof jacket/trousers, sandwiches, tube and pump required - not much larger. Also one that doesn't make my back sweat would be nice too :)

Take clothes in to work on a Monday. If it's raining put them in a carrier bag first.
    Other days you *should* be able to commute without a bag assuming you don't need to take a laptop to work each day.
    Forget a waterproof jacket. Wear layers. Roll up a windstopper so it fits in a cycling jersey.
    Leave trousers at work.
    Make sandwiches at work ?
    Pump can be attached to the frame. Tube and tools in a "water bottle" style toolbox.
    Everything else, wallet, phone etc can go in remaining jersey pockets
  • so how do the wallet / keys / phone / windstopper fair if your caught mid downpour on the way home fatherted?? :lol:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I have a camelbak hoss which i bought for big offroad epics, but it fits nicely for the commute too.

roll top. waterproof. feels comfortable, fancy pants thing on the back to keep it away from your back to let the heat escape.

i like it. its not for everyone.

I am a huge fan of alpkit stuff.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    fatherted wrote:

Take clothes in to work on a Monday. If it's raining put them in a carrier bag first.
    Other days you *should* be able to commute without a bag assuming you don't need to take a laptop to work each day.
    Forget a waterproof jacket. Wear layers. Roll up a windstopper so it fits in a cycling jersey.
    Leave trousers at work.
    Make sandwiches at work ?
    Pump can be attached to the frame. Tube and tools in a "water bottle" style toolbox.
    Everything else, wallet, phone etc can go in remaining jersey pockets

Wow, that is organised!
    I leave my car plus shoes/trousers/some shirts for the week @ the office on Sundays. I do the layers thing and am quite happy braving it in light showers but its the heavy stuff I want to protect against. I read the weather forecast & am quite happy to not take a jacket/trousers if I think its going to be dry. Sandwiches/pasta I make @ home & take in daily along with fresh fruit - no kitchen facilities at work and as I swap bikes around, always have my tools, spare tube etc in the rucksack.
    But I like the thinking :)
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    i use a freebie ruck sack from a trade show with my clothes in a placcy bag inside. job done

/cheap
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    This, it has a built in rain cover and is great. I have the larger version.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebwPNLq ... 372c012369
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I have one of these - includes a padded pocke tfor the laptop

http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product.php?product_id=4058
  • My Carradice SQR Slim is completely waterproof, takes all I need and means I only rarely need to take a backpack.

The Rapha backpack is completely waterproof, but not cheap.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Asprilla wrote:
    Big yellow Ortleib Velocity. It's excellent and is one of the best bits of kit that I've ever had.

I <3 Ortlieb Roller Panniers, but is the Velocity as uncomfortable to wear as it looks?
  • so how do the wallet / keys / phone / windstopper fair if your caught mid downpour on the way home fatherted?? :lol:

Wallet & smartphone go in a sealable sandwich plastic bag and in one jersey pocket.
    Pager, work auth tokens, memory stick and keys go in a spectacles case and in the second jersey pocket.
    Rolled up Lusso windstopper and rolled up Eager overshoes fit in the third pocket.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I use one of these inside my standard JanSport Trinity backpack:

pg-12-plastic-bag_90816t.jpg

Backpack gets soaked, clothes stay bone dry inside the plastic bag.. it's pretty ground-breaking stuff...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    notsoblue wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

I <3 Ortlieb Roller Panniers, but is the Velocity as uncomfortable to wear as it looks?

Quite the opposite, it's very, very comfortable indeed.

I wear it day in, day out for 17 miles each day without a problem. It's actually more comfortable than my Deuter Trans Alpine 30.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I use a dry sack which I brought for 6 quid from the Kit Shop, keeps everything in top condition.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    Asprilla wrote:

+1
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Alphabet wrote:
    i use a freebie ruck sack from a trade show with my clothes in a placcy bag inside. job done

/cheap

+1 plaggy bag we call em round here and i use them inside my cheap pannier racks :shock:
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Check the top fiv in the GadgetShow SE14EP15 about 1/2 way through.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Like some others, I use a plastic bag as a liner (for my pannier) - but not the 'tissue' ones (these usually have holes in them to prevent suffocation), but a 10p bag for life. These are more capacious and allow me to roll the top to provide a better seal.

If you live/shop near a Lakeland Plastics shop, their bags work well, too, and come in a variety of sizes - I use a smaller one for my emergency tools, etc.