New bike (ridgeback flight)or singlespeed conversion

rav666
rav666 Posts: 8
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
Hi all

First post so quite a few questions :)

I been commuting for a for the last year (13m each way) on my MTB(2/3 days a weelk) i have had for the last 15years (still in good nick and had it serviced in the last 5/6 months).I already have schwalbe city jets 1.95 and clip in pedals to help me.

I was looking at trying out a singlespeed conversion as i dont really ride over any major gradients. But the one thing holding me back is I think my existing frame is quite heavy (radford elite) so im wondering about how much weight advantage i would really benefit from. I have tried picking up a few bike frames in the shop and they do feel much lighter then mine.

The other option is to buy a new bike on the cycle to work scheme, i like the following bikes

The Ridgeback Flight 1 and 3, but with the 3 has hydraulic brakes are the easy to service yourself and change tyres etc ?

Is the difference between in price 370 worth it ?

Comments

• rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Don't have any experience of the Ridgebacks, but there is a glaringly obvious answer to your dilemna.

1. Choose and buy a new bike on C2W.

2. Convert the old 'un to a SS.

Two bikes for the price of one(ish).
  • ive got a flight 04 mate, ideal for you, see if you can get a 09/10 one for a discount?

internal hub gear on the 04, nice for what you want and a flying machine!
  • UPDATE : Started cleaning my bike at the weekend, decided on the spot to remove the bar ends, the bottle holder and then thought i didnt really need front derailleur and the gripshift. But i couldnt get the bloody front derailleur thing off so reattached for the moment until i get a chain device.

Ordered the single speed kit and the tools i need so the singlespeed mod is going full steam ahead

The bike already feels better with the side bar end things removed as you get a wider grip, and it feels lighter (probably psychological i guess)

So i will see the how the singlespeed feels and go from there. :D