Commuting distances

spezial
spezial Posts: 142
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, couldn't see one more relevant.

Quick question for all you folk who cycle to work. What sort of distances do you cover per day? And how much recovery time do you need once you get to work before you can slot into your routine? I know this is a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" question, as topography and weather would be big factors, but any experiences/anecdotes/advice would be great.

There's a possibility I might have to commute to work in the future, and saving money on transport would certainly be a good thing to do.

I'm sure this topic must have been covered before, so feel free to post a link to the relevant thread, along with the rolling eyes emoticon...
"what's it pertaining?"

Comments

• danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    34 mile round trip, 3-4 times a week depending on family commiments, plus a ride / event at the weekend, and a club TT a week in the summer.

No issues with recovery, I get in, change and start work within 10-20mins.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • spezial
    One of the jobs I'm looking at is a 70 mile round trip, which I'm thinking might be a bridge too far to do 4/5 days a week.

Having never trained daily before, I'm not sure what sort of effect that would have on me, will I find it easy after 2-3 months of doing the route, or will I be completely wiped out every evening?
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    22 mile round trip. 4 days a week. Longer run home (about 30 miles) on a Friday as I finish at 5pm. Weekends usually a 50-60km run in the winter with a lot of hill work.
    That will increase throughout the winter into the spring. Also about to start a couple of turbo sessions a week in the garage in the evenings.
    No recovery time needed on arrival at work. Just the time to get changed and get to my desk.
  • spezial
    nicklouse wrote:

A shocking oversight, my Bike Radar bookmark is set to the "Road" forum, so I didn't check there!

Where's my coat?
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • 24 mile round trip 5 days a week, plus weekend rides anything upto 200miles depending on weather etc. No recovery needed, get changed have breakfast....job done.
    "Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take it's place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever."
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    between 20 and 35 miles round trip 5 days a week depending on weather and route. I ride a cross bike and the knobbly tyres are on for half of the year, so my route is a mixture of road, towpath and gravel track Every couple of weeks I cycle over to Croydon for an evening drink and then on home, which makes for around 45 miles in total that day.

I try and make at least one leg of daily commute a reasonably high intensity affair and keep the speed at an average of 23-25mph.

Weekends, I try and sneak in the odd couple of hours, but it's mostly family engagements.

Recovery time - just the length of time it takes me to get changed out of my cycling clobber and grab a sneaky fag.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Spezial wrote:
    One of the jobs I'm looking at is a 70 mile round trip, which I'm thinking might be a bridge too far to do 4/5 days a week.

Having never trained daily before, I'm not sure what sort of effect that would have on me, will I find it easy after 2-3 months of doing the route, or will I be completely wiped out every evening?

I would call that too far TBH, not just on the mileage, but also the length of your working day, from leaving the house to back in. You're adding 3-4hrs on each day. Dont know your domestic arrangements, but I think if I said to the missus I would be out of the house for that length of time she would be none too pleased, and rightly so.

70 miles every day will leave you generally knackered, would me anyway.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Depends of what you want to use the commute for.

Looking to use as training ride or just means to get to and from work?

My commute to work is a part of my overall training schedule. Recovery and interval rides I use it for.

Get in a drink, shower and eat and I'm good to go!
  • gavintc
    gavintc Posts: 3,009
    29 mile round trip about 4 times a week. IMO anything over the hour each way would be getting a bit long for me if I was commuting it daily. I often add extra miles on the way home, but knowing that you had a ride of over the hour and then shower and change would make the day just too long.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    At this time of year normally between about 35 and 51 miles round trip. Hilly too so the run in in the morning is often about an hour and a half and the more uphill, slightly longer return about 2 hours. I do this 5 days a week plus weekend rides but it is really a bit much. Would be considerably easier without the hills though.......

Built up to it over a fair time as well.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Spezial wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

A shocking oversight, my Bike Radar bookmark is set to the "Road" forum, so I didn't check there!

Where's my coat?

He is such a helpful chap isn't he. :x
  • 44 mile round trip. Fairly flattish so can dust it off in under an hour each way (wind permitting). I try and do this 3 times a week and this seems to leave me with enough enthusiasm to go and put in a big ride on the Sunday.

I try and have some porrage and a quick coffee before I set off in the morning and this tends to see me through until about 11. But I can arrive at work, lock up, shower and be at my desk in 25 mins. No drama.

The main issue for me is logistics. I try and drive in on Monday with 3 days of clothes that I leave at work. Which I can then pick up on friday and launder over the weekend. Nice and easy.
  • spezial
    Tonymufc wrote:
    Spezial wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

Where's my coat?

He is such a helpful chap isn't he. :x

With over 58,000 posts, he must know his way round these forums a bit well!
    "what's it pertaining?"
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Spezial wrote:

I used to have a 70 mile round trip to work.

I did it over Exmoor in winter on a single speed

But only once or twice a week

Everyday wasn't possible due to the time it took, I had to leave at 6am and didn't get back until gone 7pm, it was too long a day for doing all the time

Now I have a 30 mile round trip commute which is possible every day
  • 28 mile round trip, hilly. Personally I would go up to about a 40 mile round trip, maybe 45-50 if it was flat. Any more would be too far, for reasons others have said.