Help with a university paper

2»

Comments

• I'm worried that it's cutting edge research like this that will suffer if student tuition fees do rise.

Yeah, because I claimed this was cutting edge!

Thanks to anyone who responded in a helpful manner, everyone else thanks for nothing.

All it is is a simple survey to see views of people. Nothing that important or necessary for my paper, but thought it would be an interesting side note.

If it's so hard to answer respectfully about a simple question, how do you manage to navigate to the forum, you numptie.

MountainMonster, from time to students do ask for survey responses. Usually they are polite and constructive and so are the respondents. You have just made a body of cyclists less likely to take other more interested students' work less seriously.

In effect, where advice was given, your response has been that you don't really care, that it's not important. If it's not important get yourself a job in a call centre and leave us (and our amassed expertise) in peace. You're patronising us, and spoiling the ground for other more serious students. Go away!

More serious students? You may find it patronising but in reality I thanked the people who contributed something useful to the topic, and the ones who turned it into some joke, or posted nothing constructive got the same back. Don't see how that is patronising in any manner. My responses which were sly remarks were directed at the ones not contributing anything other than "oh look my tax dollars are being wasted on this kids education" type of remarks, where I respond in the exact way I was responded to. Get off your podium. In no way am I a non serious student, I've already done a bachelors in business, and am now pursuing a master in dipomatic relations, so that dispells your point of view on that front.

Like I said before, many thanks to the people who responded with something useful to say, that was actually relevant to the question.

Spacebadger, many thanks. Glad your one of the people who can actually see this is not an integral part of my paper. I'm not basing my thesis, or any crutial points on this poll, which for some reason people seem to think.
    Once again thanks again.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    MountainMonster,

Rise above it. Some of the responses in this thread have been frankly disgusting others helpful. As a whole the survey went down with mixed reviews, report on that if appropriate.

But arguing with some on here isn't going to get you anywhere and there are those who will unjustly stoop to attacking the 'student stereotype', which is pathetic.

You're better off walking away.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • I'm worried that it's cutting edge research like this that will suffer if student tuition fees do rise.

Yeah, because I claimed this was cutting edge!

Thanks to anyone who responded in a helpful manner, everyone else thanks for nothing.

All it is is a simple survey to see views of people. Nothing that important or necessary for my paper, but thought it would be an interesting side note.

If it's so hard to answer respectfully about a simple question, how do you manage to navigate to the forum, you numptie.

MountainMonster, from time to students do ask for survey responses. Usually they are polite and constructive and so are the respondents. You have just made a body of cyclists less likely to take other more interested students' work less seriously.

In effect, where advice was given, your response has been that you don't really care, that it's not important. If it's not important get yourself a job in a call centre and leave us (and our amassed expertise) in peace. You're patronising us, and spoiling the ground for other more serious students. Go away!

More serious students? You may find it patronising but in reality I thanked the people who contributed something useful to the topic, and the ones who turned it into some joke, or posted nothing constructive got the same back. Don't see how that is patronising in any manner. My responses which were sly remarks were directed at the ones not contributing anything other than "oh look my tax dollars are being wasted on this kids education" type of remarks, where I respond in the exact way I was responded to. Get off your podium. In no way am I a non serious student, I've already done a bachelors in business, and am now pursuing a master in dipomatic relations, so that dispells your point of view on that front.

Like I said before, many thanks to the people who responded with something useful to say, that was actually relevant to the question.

Spacebadger, many thanks. Glad your one of the people who can actually see this is not an integral part of my paper. I'm not basing my thesis, or any crutial points on this poll, which for some reason people seem to think.
    Once again thanks again.

It's going well then?

:lol::lol::lol:
  • ... and am now pursuing a master in dipomatic relations.

:lol:

Good luck with that.
  • I like savings on insurnace and petrol; I like not having need for a car, as I either live in city centre, or are close enough that a commute is better than spending time driving. I'm a big fan of environmental reasons, but then I love being on my bike, and prefer the fitness from cycling rather than public transport or by autos. Also, commuting by bicycle helps drastically reduce time spent waiting for buses, sitting in traffic, or broken down lines for the underground, but then I have other reasons too. But which one is best? There's only one way to find out...

Harry-Hill-Fight-AP-WDC5.jpg
  • There we go Jonny_trousers, thanks for actually contributing, those are the things I am looking for, and yours sums it up exactly in the form I wanted.

I'm not looking for the right answer, what I am really looking for is the combination, and people expressing their views on it, and yours was very informative.

lost_in_thought

It's going very well thanks. Tiring to say the least, but has some interesting subject matter.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    I put 'other' because for me it's a combination of reasons - just not one of the combinations you've put down. I guess if I had to pick one, then number 4 is probably best fit.

If I may make a constructive observation on the survey.... it's easier to answer these things if the options are tightly defined. And I suspect easier to analyse the data. If loads of people answer "4", do you conclude that people commute because they love cycling or because they like the fitness benefits: the two are distinctly different?

For me, the most important driver is fitness: I can eat what I like and I don't put on weight.
    Saving money is a close second. Environmental benefit is a nice side-effect (especially as my work provides a free bacon sandwich every so often for people who commute in an eco-friendly way). Only then do I get to '...love being on my bike', because while I do love being on my bike, I don't particularly love being on it to commute to work - although it's still better than driving.
  • rhext

Many thanks for your reply. As i've said before this is only for a small introduction sentence, and am only using it to introduce the idea that many people ride for more than 1 of the reasons, as many of you have said. There are the odd people who sway entirely to one answer, but most people who have answered with exactly what I was looking for, the option of other and combining everything.

As I said this is not an integral part of my paper, but only 1/100th of the important part, so I don't need very precise analysis or anything, i've already got an overload of statistics and academic articles to enhance the important parts.

Once again, thanks,.
  • Another constructive suggestion (not on the survey): use a spell checker. "Dispell" and "crutial" are not words. A grammar checker wouldn't go amiss either.

How does commuting by bike fit into a Masters on Diplomatic Relations?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • This is just for one of my Composistion classes, so it's only a general education class at the minute. Spell checker and grammer check gets used very much when actually writing the paper, but not on forums.
  • andyb78
    andyb78 Posts: 156
    This is just for one of my Composistion classes, so it's only a general education class at the minute. Spell checker and grammer check gets used very much when actually writing the paper, but not on forums.

Fair enough fella, but you're doing a Masters and you can't spell grammar? Alarm bells are ringing... FWIW, as someone who works in academic research, the questionnaire leaves a bit to be desired. Coolican - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Research-Method ... 0340812583[/url] may help you here... Not being funny, but if you want proper results/info, you have to ask the right questions...
    Road bike FCN 6

Hardtail Commuter FCN 11 (Apparently, but that may be due to the new beard...)
  • Sideshow: http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

And as French was once the language of diplomacy...va te faire enculer
  • andyb78
    Sideshow: http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

And as French was once the language of diplomacy...va te faire enculer

D'accord.
    Road bike FCN 6

• andyb78 wrote:
    This is just for one of my Composistion classes, so it's only a general education class at the minute. Spell checker and grammer check gets used very much when actually writing the paper, but not on forums.

Fair enough fella, but you're doing a Masters and you can't spell grammar?

Or "composition".

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • andyb78
    Greg66 wrote:
    andyb78 wrote:

Or "composition".

Was trying not to be too critical...
    Road bike FCN 6

• andyb78 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    andyb78 wrote:

Or "composition".

Was trying not to be too critical...

:lol::lol:
  • andyb78 wrote:

Fair enough fella, but you're doing a Masters and you can't spell grammar? Alarm bells are ringing... FWIW, as someone who works in academic research, the questionnaire leaves a bit to be desired. Coolican - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Research-Method ... 0340812583[/url] may help you here... Not being funny, but if you want proper results/info, you have to ask the right questions...

2/3rd of his respondents have ticked the 'love to be on bike'' option. And yet his conclusion is that 'There are the odd people who sway entirely to one answer, but most people who have answered with exactly what I was looking for, the option of other and combining everything.'' But they haven't, have they? Only 8% went for the ''other'' box.

And yet he's drawn the conclusion he started off with anyway, despite the evidence.

I wouldn't normally get heated about this kind of thing and I really don't make a habit of telling people to go away on forums, but I've just witnessed a very distressing sequence of fake consultations on a subject that deeply concerns me, and the OP's poll had exactly the same smell.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Of course, there's always a possibility that English is not his first language..... In which case, perhaps a few errors are to be expected!
  • rhext wrote:
    Of course, there's always a possibility that English is not his first language..... In which case, perhaps a few errors are to be expected!

That is possible. However, the first language of his coursework is likely to be English.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    edited November 2010
    Looks like he's a Yank who 'works' for his dad (who is some kind of professor on Environmental issues at Cambridge Uni)

http://sites.google.com/site/cbeec1/home

http://www.crawford-brown.co.uk/index.html

Google also brings up some other results for a Sean Crawford-Brown but could well be unrelated.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    andyb78 wrote:

2/3rd of his respondents have ticked the 'love to be on bike'' option. And yet his conclusion is that 'There are the odd people who sway entirely to one answer, but most people who have answered with exactly what I was looking for, the option of other and combining everything.'' But they haven't, have they? Only 8% went for the ''other'' box.

And yet he's drawn the conclusion he started off with anyway, despite the evidence.

I wouldn't normally get heated about this kind of thing and I really don't make a habit of telling people to go away on forums, but I've just witnessed a very distressing sequence of fake consultations on a subject that deeply concerns me, and the OP's poll had exactly the same smell.

+1
    Garbage in, garbage out.

If you ask why people cycle and one of the options is "I enjoy cycling" then you're going to have a number of people that respond with that, infact I'd go so far as to say that there's not a single person that commutes by bike that doesn't actually enjoy cycling.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Good grief and man alive.

Calm down everybody. This is only a little interweb forum thingy. No need to take it all so seriously.